Minn Kota 55 5x Endura Fail

sangria

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Hello. I would like to share my experience with Endura 55 5x. I never been in any boat forum before. The reason i am joining each one today is i am really pissed off the way they re done this trolling motors. Even i have 2 years warranty, my Sunday is messed up and i can not canoe right now. The reason of this frustration is As you know every motor has "drive pin" and %99 percent of them, you are able to replace it. The new one came with the built drive pin which is you can not replace when it breaks. And i am very upset about this control freak people who wants to control everything in our life. Now i can not fix my motor. I have to go repair shop and have to wait for this warranty process. I checked the service manual and it says you can replace the drive pin. Thanks a lot Minn Kota. I will never ever buy this brand!

Here is the pictures :

sangria

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Actually i didnt. I just googled minn kota forums and this one also popped up. And i was so pissed of, thats why i wrote all of them the same topic.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The, "drive pin" is often called a, "shear pin". It is intended to fail so it will save the propeller. You should be able to drive it out with a drift. If that doesn't work, you can drill it out. After all, it was intentionally made weaker than the shaft it is installed in. If the hole in the shaft is distorted, you have a warranty problem. That pin should have broken before anything else got hurt.

sangria

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Because they built this pin with the slot. There is no way you can take the broken part out with basic tools. I think they weld it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The maintenance manual doesn't believe it's impossible to get out with every day tools, but you are a better judge of the situation that anybody else because you are looking at it in person.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
This is just the shaft & prop from electric outboard. Pretty mutch all use this shear pin arrangement, this pin is quite tight in the shaft & has to be driven out. If its sheared of try driving it out with a pin punch, or drill it out & fit a new pin & it doesn't matter if the new pin is loose in there as they wont fall out with the prop back on.12V elect OB prop.JPG

sangria

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Thats the final work done picture with a nail. Now it works great. I wish i thought of this drilling in the morning. I just didnt understand why the heck this new generation one came with built pin!!! It is certainly built in because i drilled it and it didnt came out at all!!

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thats the final work done picture with a nail. Now it works great. I wish i thought of this drilling in the morning. I just didnt understand why the heck this new generation one came with built pin!!! It is certainly built in because i drilled it and it didnt came out at all!!
Now, I hope your nail is the weakest link like the broken shear pin was. If not, there will be bigger damage as the new weakest link breaks next time.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
You need a drive pin punch set. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Harbor Freight but good in a pinch. Support the shaft and use the punch and hammer (safety glasses please) to pound the pin out. To support the shaft, you could use a stub of 2x4 with a hole drilled in it to allow the pin a place to go. Drilling can enlarge the hole or knock it out of round. In this case, its probably not a big deal as the pin looks to be captive by the prop and nut.
Have fun.