minimum pin to drive 4 bi-color leds

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

What's is the minimum pins I need to drive 4 bi-color leds? I have some d-latchs, inverters. But I don't have shift register. The bi-color leds are common ground/cathode.

Thanks guys!

NOTE: the least I can come up with is 6 pins, in a multiplexing arrangement.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi guys

What's is the minimum pins I need to drive 4 bi-color leds? I have some d-latchs, inverters. But I don't have shift register. The bi-color leds are common ground/cathode.

Thanks guys!

No transistors?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 824 B Four red or green LEDs.PNG
Each LED can be turned on individually so you can have red, green, yellow or off.

Hi guys

Thanks guys!

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi guys

Thanks guys!

Design 824 A Four red or green LEDs.PNG
All the same color? Red, green, yellow or off.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
depending on the led used but 3 pins (two drive pins and 1 ground/rail) will produce (theoretically) unlimited colors.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
depending on the led used but 3 pins (two drive pins and 1 ground/rail) will produce (theoretically) unlimited colors.

What kind of LEDs do you have? 3-pin with a common cathode can only get two LEDs. The "any color" LEDs I have seen have 3 LEDs and 4 leads. Do you want "off" to be an option?

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
What kind of LEDs do you have? 3-pin with a common cathode can only get two LEDs. The "any color" LEDs I have seen have 3 LEDs and 4 leads. Do you want "off" to be an option?
I will need 3 states:
Green
Red
Off