Millmans Thm

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
hi
Can Millmans Thm be applied for a "series of parallel capacitor arrangements"(like the one typical in millmans thm).
if yes
is the emf across the parallel branches given by

V = EC+E'C'+E''C''...
-----------------------
C+C'+C''+....

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi,

as far as i can remember millmans theo is to find solution for 2 source circuit by repeatitively applying Thevenin and Norton theo.

millmans theo is not so often used

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
What is Millman's theorem?
An article on Millmans Thm is found on this website. Click Millmans Thm.

ok.. the other day i was analysing a circuit with capacitors and the answer i got after applying my version of millmans thm matched with the answer in the book... probably thats just coincidence ;) ..i doubted the truth of the method which is why i wanted to clarify and confirm the formula

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
Could you show us your working out? I vaguely seem to remember Millmans Theorum for multiple parallel emfs.
Actually i had just made a guess to the formula without working it out. But now that you told me to do it, I did it.
Well yes Millmans Theorem is used to find resulatant EMF across multiple parallel EMF.
I tried working it out for a multiple parallel ciruit having 2 emfs and 3 capacitors (by replacing the resistors by capacitors on the diagram at the link above) . And the math holds true according as given by the formula. :lol: :lol:
i ll try to confirm this by workin on more complex circuits by increasing the no of EMFs and capacitors (but surely i wont go beyond 3 EMFS and capacitors. It ll be very tough to solve those simultaneous eqns.) -_- -_-

will try and get back

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by haditya@Apr 16 2004, 02:42 PM
I tried working it out for a multiple parallel ciruit having 2 emfs and 3 capacitors (by replacing the resistors by capacitors on the diagram at the link above) . And the math holds true according as given by the formula.
This surprises me actually because the laws for parallel resistors and capacitors are slightly different (i.e. 1/Rp = 1/R1 + 1/R2.... whereas Cp = C1 + C2....). I do look forward to seeing your working :)

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi,

have been following this thread curiously how it would come out. the main question was can the theorem be applied to a grid of capacitors? i have seen the article here in this forum and it has never mentioned anything about capacitors.

as what dave has pointed out the parallel equation of resistor does not have the same effect to capacitors. it is the reverse.

if you are following the parts placement of the example and use any cap value the voltage at any point will be the same as your supply. as per example the supply is in parallel. maybe i'm wrong?

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
hi
i am having a major exam tomorrow and will upload my working of the formula after i am finished with it.
my guess is that the eqn will also hold true in a 3 emf 3 capacitor setup

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Homework Help 5