Microwave inverter into power supply

Gabriell

Joined Jan 16, 2016
I pulled out a microwave oven inverter today and i was wondering if i could make it into a power supply just like the older microwave oven transformers.

Can i rewire the secondary just like the big old ones? any tips how could i turn it into a 120v power supply?

Thanks

Gabriell

Joined Jan 16, 2016
IMG_2299.JPG IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2301.JPG
Maybe this image will help. Not many reply's so far...
I tried to connect it 240v but it just blow my fuse.
Internet search doesn't give much on these things. Anyone familiar with these things??????

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I pulled out a microwave oven inverter today and i was wondering if i could make it into a power supply just like the older microwave oven transformers.

Can i rewire the secondary just like the big old ones? any tips how could i turn it into a 120v power supply?

Thanks
A 12V DC to 120V 60 Hz inverter is best realized via 'double conversion' topology -- Although a MOT inverter transformer may be used in the first stage of such a scheme, IMO such is not practical in consideration of the amount of rewinding required -- That said, MOT inverters are excellently applied to LVDC → HVDC conversion where space/weight economy are desirable (e.g. the plate [i.e. anode] supply in tube operated mobile communication equipment) :):):)

Best regards and have fun!:)
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Gabriell
...On the other hand, If you merely want a DC PSU you may 'unwind' the secondary to such extent that the EMF is 'in range of' your proposed rectification/regulation scheme... Note that the operation/output frequency (tens of kHz) is significantly easier to filter than 60hZ!:cool:

Best regards
HP

Gabriell

Joined Jan 16, 2016
Thank you for your message!
I wish i would understand what you are trying to say but im lost. :(
The inverter runs on DC instead of AC?

Gabriell

Joined Jan 16, 2016
@Gabriell
...On the other hand, If you merely want a DC PSU you may 'unwind' the secondary such extent that the EMF is 'in range of' your proposed rectification/regulation scheme... Note that the operation/output frequency (tens of kHz) is significantly easier to filter than 60hZ!:cool:

Best regards
HP
So if i rewind the secondary and apply dc voltage to the primary it should be ok?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Thank you for your message!
I wish i would understand what you are trying to say but im lost. :(
The inverter runs on DC instead of AC?
The inverter proper operates on DC derived from rectification of mains current -- howbeit, the unit as a whole is essentially a 60HZ mains 'voltage' to high 'voltage' DC converter.....

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
So... If you want a lower 'voltage' DC power supply -- You need only modify the secondary (and, perhaps, the secondary circuit) for the desired output -- then power the unit from the mains (as it was connected in the microwave oven)...:)

Best regards
HP

Gabriell

Joined Jan 16, 2016
Unfortunately i dont have circuit anymore. I will try to salvage another one.

So i cant just unwind the secondary and apply AC and then connect it to a bridge rectifier?

Unfortunately i dont have circuit anymore. I will try to salvage another one.

So i cant just unwind the secondary and apply AC and then connect it to a bridge rectifier?
Unfortunately the magnetic properties of ferrite preclude said application at low frequencies (CIP 60Hz) -- that said, you may be able to build a simple driver (of, for instance, resonant Royer/"ZVS" topology)... Can you run a continuity test on the transformer and post the results?

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Gabriell

Joined Jan 16, 2016
Hmmm probably is should have told you first that im not an electrician and my knowledge is very limited. I have no idea how to do a continuity test and i dont know what " resonant Royer/"ZVS" topology" means...
But i appreciate your help!!!

Hmmm probably is should have told you first that im not an electrician and my knowledge is very limited. I have no idea how to do a continuity test and i dont know what " resonant Royer/"ZVS" topology" means...
But i appreciate your help!!!
Ok I hear you! - No problem:) -- I think your best move is to salvage another inverter -- Don't remove the transformer unless necessary to access the secondary --- when ready please let me know, and I'll be happy to 'walk you through' the modification!:cool:

Best regards
HP:)

PS -- Many microwave ovens equipped with conventional MOTs are still 'floating around' --- Should you go that route, please try to find an older unit inasmuch newer MOTs tend to have small cores and, hence, rather low saturation thresholds...
Also - Please hold on to your present inverter transformer! -- Someday you'll be glad you did!:):):)

Very best regards
HP