Microsoft takes a giant step intruding on my life.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I wasn't trying to make a convincing argument. I just offered my experience that I have read very detailed analyses providing the data you asked for. You can find them if you search for them. It is a practical fact that out in the world, Mac and other Unix OSes have a superior track record, even after you account for the market share differences.

It's true that nothing is 100%, but any rational person would still choose 85% over 45% unless they are making compromises for other factors.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I downloaded 10 to my win 7 laptop. My wife had 10 on her computer for a month or so and had no issues.
A week later I opened Outlook to check my mail, a window popped up announcing "because you work for a school you are entitled to a free version of Office 16".
I exited out of Outlook (without being able to read my mail) and called the IT instructor to ask about it. She wasn't aware of 16 being out yet, and a check on our license showed 11 people had already downloaded it, updating the old Office.
After seeing that it was legitimate, I downloaded it, seeing as how it wouldn't let me read my mail anyways.
When I restarted the computer after the install it asked for the product id # . I entered our new 16 product code and it informed me I needed to enter the old Office 13 product id #. After all this running back and forth all was well,, until I opened Excel to see what changes were made. Fist thing that pops up is a screen that says "First things first, you have to check off on the user agreement" . When I saw that the agreement included endless updates that I cannot shut off, and some other verbiage I wasn't comfortable with I uninstalled it.I also got rid of 10.
Of course I had to get the disk from school to re-install my old Office..Looks like win10 will hold your email hostage until you update Office, that's if you use Outlook. Helluva way to do business..
Linux is looking better all the time.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Taking hostages sounds desperate. How did MS know you worked for a school? Was it a dot edu address?
In any event, it sounds like personally identifiable information is being collected and used for marketing with Win10, as promised in the new user agreement.

John

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I downloaded 10 to my win 7 laptop. My wife had 10 on her computer for a month or so and had no issues.
A week later I opened Outlook to check my mail, a window popped up announcing "because you work for a school you are entitled to a free version of Office 16".
I exited out of Outlook (without being able to read my mail) and called the IT instructor to ask about it. She wasn't aware of 16 being out yet, and a check on our license showed 11 people had already downloaded it, updating the old Office.
After seeing that it was legitimate, I downloaded it, seeing as how it wouldn't let me read my mail anyways.
When I restarted the computer after the install it asked for the product id # . I entered our new 16 product code and it informed me I needed to enter the old Office 13 product id #. After all this running back and forth all was well,, until I opened Excel to see what changes were made. Fist thing that pops up is a screen that says "First things first, you have to check off on the user agreement" . When I saw that the agreement included endless updates that I cannot shut off, and some other verbiage I wasn't comfortable with I uninstalled it.I also got rid of 10.
Of course I had to get the disk from school to re-install my old Office..Looks like win10 will hold your email hostage until you update Office, that's if you use Outlook. Helluva way to do business..
Linux is looking better all the time.
Wow! That's exactly the sort of crap I feared from Win10. As I stated earlier in this thread, I bought Win7 Pro outright and installed it on a home-assembled machine. I did that to avoid the bloatware, unknownware, and constant nagging that comes with buying a factory-built machine. It sounds that would all be for naught if I switched to 10.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
and called the IT instructor to ask about it. She wasn't aware of 16 being out yet, and a check on our license showed 11 people had already downloaded it, updating the old Office.
An IT department that allows that is just plain amateur..
Any updates should be held back by IT until allowed as a whole..
Never a good idea in a multiuser environment to just let people control what/when they update.. Makes the job tougher for IT..

I haven't seen a single Win10 "notification" of any kind at work.. Why? because our IT department is blocking/holding them back until we decide as a company that it is going to be installed globally here.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Taking hostages sounds desperate. How did MS know you worked for a school? Was it a dot edu address?
In any event, it sounds like personally identifiable information is being collected and used for marketing with Win10, as promised in the new user agreement.

John
I have Office 365 in my personal laptop (that's where all this mayhem is happening) so I can check school email from home, that's where they got my .edu address.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
An IT department that allows that is just plain amateur..
Any updates should be held back by IT until allowed as a whole..
Never a good idea in a multiuser environment to just let people control what/when they update.. Makes the job tougher for IT..

I haven't seen a single Win10 "notification" of any kind at work.. Why? because our IT department is blocking/holding them back until we decide as a company that it is going to be installed globally here.
The IT dept didn't allow a thing! All of this is on my personal laptop at home. Because the school has a multi user license for Office I had a copy of 13 installed in my pc. I use Office 365 to check mail from home, that's probably how they linked me to the school. None of the school computers are getting the win10 update message. The others that updated are off campus also,

edit: The icing on the cake for all of this, I have a couple of XP boxes in my shop for programming 2 way radios, MS tried updating both of them tonite..You remember XP..the product they quit supporting a couple of years ago..