Microsoft takes a giant step intruding on my life.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Instead of just ding-donging me about Windows 10, Microsoft almost installed it on my computer today without my permission.

While I was gone to breakfast, it (apparently) popped up a window that said Win10 would begin installing in 60 minutes unless I intervened. After breakfast, I returned to find my computer in the midst of a Win10 installation with no way to stop it short of a power down, which I did. On reconnecting power, it reverted to Win7 (which I had bought and paid for,) so I changed my update preferences to "don't make any changes without asking." But that wasn't enough; a few minutes later, it popped up a window that said Win10 would begin installing in 60 minutes unless I intervened, which I did. Then, it kept wanting to reschedule the installation, and made it hard to find the option for me to say, "no."

Of course, there's no way to complain to Microsoft...so I will have to just wait and see what form their next attack will take.

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Instead of just ding-donging me about Windows 10, Microsoft almost installed it on my computer today without my permission.

While I was gone to breakfast, it (apparently) popped up a window that said Win10 would begin installing in 60 minutes unless I intervened. After breakfast, I returned to find my computer in the midst of a Win10 installation with no way to stop it short of a power down, which I did. On reconnecting power, it reverted to Win7 (which I had bought and paid for,) so I changed my update preferences to "don't make any changes without asking." But that wasn't enough; a few minutes later, it popped up a window that said Win10 would begin installing in 60 minutes unless I intervened, which I did. Then, it kept wanting to reschedule the installation, and made it hard to find the option for me to say, "no."

Of course, there's no way to complain to Microsoft...so I will have to just wait and see what form their next attack will take.
I just gave up and installed it on one computer last night. So far the only things I didn't like was the color of the task bar (black) and they made their browser the default. Both pretty easy to change.
I do like the old windows 7 start page - this computer had windows 8.
So far so
g
o
o
d
. :D

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Here is a bunch of links with tips and tricks for windows 10:
LINK - How to open MSConfig in Windows 10
LINK - Windows 10 Eliminates the Need to Ever Reinstall Windows on New PCs
LINK - How to Create a System Image in Windows 7, 8, or 10
LINK - Technet Microsoft Windows 10
LINK - A list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails
LINK - Safe Mode in Windows 10
LINK - Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot Menu on Windows 10
LINK - Windows 10 Settings You Should Change Right Away
LINK - How to reclaim your privacy in Windows 10, piece by piece
LINK - How to Make Windows 10 Look and Feel Like Windows 7
LINK - How to Disable or Remove Login Screen in Windows 10
LINK - How to Change Your Password in Windows 10
LINK - How to Reset Forgotten Password in WIndows 10
LINK - How to Stop Auto-Updates in WIndows 10
LINK - How to check pc components in WIndows 10
LINK - INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE error in Windows 10
LINK - Windows 10 error .. inaccessible boot device?
LINK - How to Uninstall Programs in Windows 10
LINK - How to fully shut down Windows 10
LINK - How to Change Your Default Browser in Windows 10
LINK - How to Change Windows 10 startup programs
LINK - How to create a local account in Windows 10
LINK - Advanced Startup Options to Fix Your Windows 8 or 10 PC
LINK - Refreshing and Resetting Your Windows 8 or 10 PC
LINK - Classic Shell : Windows 10 is officially supported ...
LINK - Change Your Keyboard Layout in Windows 8 or 10
LINK - Forum: Fix and How-To's
LINK - Meer howto helpinformatie ...
LINK - Meer Windows 10 help informatie bij Microsoft ...
LINK - Meer Windows 10 help informatie op Windows10help.nl ...

And a lot of FAQ' s:
http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=0

Bertus

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I was alerted to this possibility last fall and I have developed a list of KB updates that I have removed from my machine. Now I check each "Windows Update" to see if it has anything to do with Windows 10 and I repeatedly hide them in the windows upgrade applet. I'll keep Win 7 until the hard drive crashes. DISM is a marvelous tool. Off the softies!!

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
If you don't want win 10, maybe the best thing to do is let it upgrade.

After is upgrades, you have 30 days or so, to decide if you like it.

After a day after upgrade, revert it back to win 7.

Then maybe it won't bug you again.

You have to think like the MS idiots do.

I didn't think I would like win 10, but I like it better than 7.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Except the backward conversion from Win10 to 7 doesn't always go as planned.

My experience on my lappie is that Win10 is not stable, but it is marvelous at recovering when it glitches (which it does often). Usually this is in the form of drivers that have not been written for the Win10 OS crapping out (my keyboard backlight) or power down that doesn't work. I'm not deeply impressed, but I am using it.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Except the backward conversion from Win10 to 7 doesn't always go as planned.

My experience on my lappie is that Win10 is not stable, but it is marvelous at recovering when it glitches (which it does often). Usually this is in the form of drivers that have not been written for the Win10 OS crapping out (my keyboard backlight) or power down that doesn't work. I'm not deeply impressed, but I am using it.
That's my experience too. For your laptop, don't use the PIN to unlock it, use the password facility instead. I don't know why, but there are problems in sleeping/waking when using PIN on lots of laptops and the like.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
So... My Acer Aspire One (netbook) does not have Win10 video driver... Will this thing try to install Win10 or will it leave it at Win7?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes it will try, but will stop.

Then try again, and again, and again...

I have a Dell PC I have that problem with.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Yes it will try, but will stop.

Then try again, and again, and again...

I have a Dell PC I have that problem with.
I just saw an interesting idea about the driver issue.
Ok. Some background first.
I have Acer Aspire One, D270.
It has Intel N2600 cpu.. and Intel GMA 3600 gpu or integrated gpu or whatever.

So when I installed update from M$, I did not know at the time that I will also install the Win10 nag. So I had the little Win10 icon in the tray, for the fun I asked it to analyze my netbook, it said that it does not have video driver for my GMA 3600. I went to Intel website, looked for driver, no driver. Did the google thing, there is no driver and Intel has no intention of making one.

Back to now. I just googled something else and on Acer forum someone asked how to install Win10 even though there is no video driver. The Acer rep suggested switching from Intel video driver to M$ generic driver, then let the Win10 thingy do its thing. Might be worth a try.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I recently started dual booting Ubuntu and have been pretty happy. My computer boots up quick and stays snappy. That's a lot to ask, I know. All the apps I use either have a native equivalent or can be run with wine. I'd lie if I said I haven't had some minor problems. The only one that has been frustrating enough to mention is that my wireless N chipset will only work at G speeds (25Mbps). On windows I can get 100Mbps pretty easily. It's just a driver issue I'm sure. Being new - I'm not entirely sure about how to go about fixing the driver.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Whats the big deal?
Windows 10 is just fine... let it install and save the "energy" for more important things in life..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Speaking of Linux.... Were the 3 days you lost of your life trying to use it worth it?:)
Sure. All I had to give up was every feature on my Canon MFP4150 printer except one sided page printing and MSPaint.
I just quit printing 2-sided pages, scanning paper pages, optical character recognition, and making small schematic drawings.
Not doing those things saves me a lot of time.:)