Microcontrollers ???

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
All I wanted to know is why somebody was saying PIC compilers you have to pay for. Doesn't MPLAB come for free and it supports PIC programming with a PCCLITE c compiler. These can be downloaded freely.
So why is it being said that PIC program will cost more ?

And is MPLAB IDE only for programming PIC chips because I don't see any AVR , MCU chips listed Maestro only list PIC chips , and the PCCLITE only really list PIC chips , ....etc etc . This gives me the impression that MPLAB IDE is only for PIC programming not for AVR , MCU ,...etc programming?

Is their any free AVR , MCU compiler's assembliers ,...etc for programming for free?

And What about disassembliers is their a disassembiler you can get for microchips. Or would you have to right one yourself for each targeted chip?

Thanks again

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Can you post the links to the free MPLAB and PCCLITE download sites? I would like to get a copy of the IDE for evaluation.

You can download free assembler AVRSTUDIO4 at www.atmel.com and the free C-compiler WINAVR from www.sourceforge.net .

I don't know of any disassemblers for AVR or PIC.

Thanks,
hgmjr

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
All I wanted to know is why somebody was saying PIC compilers you have to pay for. Doesn't MPLAB come for free and it supports PIC programming with a PCCLITE c compiler. These can be downloaded freely.
So why is it being said that PIC program will cost more ?
I already answered this a few post up.

And is MPLAB IDE only for programming PIC chips because I don't see any AVR , MCU chips listed Maestro only list PIC chips , and the PCCLITE only really list PIC chips , ....etc etc . This gives me the impression that MPLAB IDE is only for PIC programming not for AVR , MCU ,...etc programming?
Why would Microchip provide a free IDE that supports their competition? MPLAB is for PICs... nobody has said otherwise.

To repeat myself... there are limited versions of compilers for PIC12/16, PIC18 and PIC24 that are free. They are NOT full versions-- full version will cost you money. They are also separate (read different) compilers so you have download or buy each individually. You might be able to get by with the free stuff-- look at each one to see if the limitations are acceptable for your needs.

There is a free full featured compiler for AVR. It is full speed, all optimizations supported, all AVR devices supported, all size code supported.

Atmel has an IDE that is free and supports the compiler:
AVR Studio. It does not support PICs of any flavor. It also comes with a free assembler and debug, simulation tools.

I use both PIC and AVR in a commercial environment and both get the job done just fine. For hobbyist I feel the AVR is a better buy (right now) maybe that will change later. Both companies have very smart engineers making amazing products -- who knows what the future holds.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok so it is a free compiler for PIC but it is limited in usage.
I just don't see what the big deal between the limited free version and the paid full version. If it is just a simulator and a debugger then I am alright with out it for now. <--that is the paid version.

And I don't understand why AVR compilers are for free but PIC is not.
Obviously their would be no choice in products. If they do reasonable the same things and one has free software associate with it. Which one would you choose... hummmmm. The free one.

There is a free full featured compiler for AVR. It is full speed, all optimizations supported, all AVR devices supported, all size code supported.

Atmel has an IDE that is free and supports the compiler:
AVR Studio. It does not support PICs of any flavor. It also comes with a free assembler and debug, simulation tools.
Where can I get this? A link please.

And other then PIC and AVR chips our their any other chip types that you could get full free compilers for?
Or is it like their is 2 groups of chips PIC and AVR that take up 90% of microcontroller chip market. And the 10% left is just second rate stuff...

What about MCU where do these fall into play?

Last edited:

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
Where can I get this? A link please.
hgmjr provided one already:

You can download free assembler AVRSTUDIO4 at www.atmel.com and the free C-compiler WINAVR from www.sourceforge.net
Or is it like their is 2 groups of chips PIC and AVR that take up 90% of microcontroller chip market. And the 10% left is just second rate stuff...
There are many other vendors out there like Freescale, TI, Silabs, Renasas (#1 based on revenue in 2007), phillips, maxim, etc... They all have free limited compilers.

I recommend checking here for more info:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=index
www.atmel.com
www.silabs.com
www.freescale.com
http://focus.ti.com/paramsearch/doc...milyId=342&sectionId=95&tabId=1200&family=mcu
www.8052.com
www.google.com
http://www.wikipedia.org/

@hgmjr
PICC Lite can be had here:
http://www.htsoft.com/products/#microchip