microcontroller recommendation

moosehead

Joined Feb 13, 2005
Hi all:

I am thinking about my next generation wireless remote control application. My present app uses a Parallax stamp BS2px with a wireless transceiver and an RS232-ethernet interface module. My design is way too expensive, so I've got my eye on a new RF transceiver, and I'm having some trouble deciding on an 8 bit MCU to go with it.

My requirements are as follows:
- SPI interface
- UART
- ethernet interface
- cheap.
- programmable in C.
- available software libraries (serial ports). I don't want to code details of serial port comm or internet comm, I don't want to spend months of programming, I'm not comfortable coding at this level. I want to keep coding at a high level. My code basically handles bi-directional communication between the transceiver and the ethernet interface.

Anybody got any suggestions ?

Much thanks.

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ethernet interface is the hardest requirement on your list. I remenber microcontrontrollers with built-in Ethernet peripheral, but unfortunately I can't recall where.

moose

you choose" pic 16f "serise microcontroller which is chip and having facility uart, spi and ethernet

Hi all:

I am thinking about my next generation wireless remote control application. My present app uses a Parallax stamp BS2px with a wireless transceiver and an RS232-ethernet interface module. My design is way too expensive, so I've got my eye on a new RF transceiver, and I'm having some trouble deciding on an 8 bit MCU to go with it.

My requirements are as follows:
- SPI interface
- UART
- ethernet interface
- cheap.
- programmable in C.
- available software libraries (serial ports). I don't want to code details of serial port comm or internet comm, I don't want to spend months of programming, I'm not comfortable coding at this level. I want to keep coding at a high level. My code basically handles bi-directional communication between the transceiver and the ethernet interface.

Anybody got any suggestions ?

Much thanks.

FredM

Joined Dec 27, 2005
You may be interested in the Cypress Semiconductor wireless (PSoC) MCUs.. Some of These include a full tranciever and all the other requirements, with the possible exception of ethernet. There are also Wireless USB parts, and USB<->Ethernet may be easy to implement.
I am a PSoC consultant, but not on their wireless parts.. I hope to gain competency with these and get certified in the near future.. If you wish, I could have a look at your application and maybe help to get you started - I need to get down to some design using Cypress Wireless parts to gain accreditation, so this might serve us both well.
Parts are CHEAP, The required tools and libraries for modules (PSoC Designer) can be downloaded FOC, and I have a spare compiler. www.PSoC.co.uk is my site, you can find my contact details and links to Cypress downloads from there.