Microcontroller basics for beginners

PaulaCH

Joined Jan 21, 2017
Hello im new in microcontrollers and i can't just understand all their families and specifications, i hope you can help me understand this, so i can move on.
What as far i know is their architecture, that they all have general resources like memory, processors, i/o gates, also there are 4bit, 8bit, 16bit and 32 bit and there are diffrent families of each.
But then when it comes to choosing a mc there are a lot of things i dont understand like what determines how much ram do i need, the core the cpu.
Do you know any web page, book or any resource where i can get this information.
I've searched in google but i can't find any undestandable.
I would really like to learn all about mp but it seems i cant get the right information.
Thanks in advance!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello im new in microcontrollers and i can't just understand all their families and specifications, i hope you can help me understand this, so i can move on.
What as far i know is their architecture, that they all have general resources like memory, processors, i/o gates, also there are 4bit, 8bit, 16bit and 32 bit and there are diffrent families of each.
But then when it comes to choosing a mc there are a lot of things i dont understand like what determines how much ram do i need, the core the cpu.
Do you know any web page, book or any resource where i can get this information.
I would really like to learn all about mp but it seems i cant get the right information.
Thanks in advance!

Most people pick one family, learn it and stick with it. There is no "Wrong" microcontroler family.

The RAM you need will be based on the complexity of the project. If you just need some buttons, delays and flashing indicators, not much. If you need sensors, PID control and multiple motors speed control, limit switches, multiple setup options and display - you'll need more. Just PIC one (pun intended) and let us know what you need to do.

Last edited:

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
I'll agree with gopher on the PIC one... Honestly I've never messed with any of the other ones so I'm pretty biased. I've done some pretty neat things with pic18s and have just recently begain experimenting with some pic24s. I've learned everything I needed from the internet so far. I started out with nothing more than a little hobby level backgound in programming.

Last edited:

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Thanks in advance!
Download "Understanding Small Microcontrollers" at:

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/reference-manuals/M68HC05TB.pdf