Microcontroller-based system that send data to server over the internet.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
I'm trying to think from a practical point of view to understand concepts

For example, let's say there is a central office and five branch offices in a country. We want to develop a system that requires the temperature and humidity readings of each branch office to be sent over the internet to the central office.

We have microcontroller which has bluetooth wi-fi and ethernet interface for physical connectivity.

In first step we have connected a temperature and humidity sensor to microcontroller and written code which read data of temperature and humidity and store in buffer. So we have installed this microcontroller based system in all five branch offices.

I know the system cannot send the humidity and temperature readings to the central office because system need connectivity interfaces to communicate with central office. System can use any of the connectivity interfaces (Ethernet, WiFi, or Bluetooth) to transmit the collected humidity and temperature readings to the central server.

For example, if I choose to use Ethernet,

Can't figure out what to do next ( TCP/IP, https)

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I'm trying to think from a practical point of view to understand concepts

For example, let's say there is a central office and five branch offices in a country. We want to develop a system that requires the temperature and humidity readings of each branch office to be sent over the internet to the central office.

We have microcontroller which has bluetooth wi-fi and ethernet interface for physical connectivity.

In first step we have connected a temperature and humidity sensor to microcontroller and written code which read data of temperature and humidity and store in buffer. So we have installed this microcontroller based system in all five branch offices.

I know the system cannot send the humidity and temperature readings to the central office because system need connectivity interfaces to communicate with central office. System can use any of the connectivity interfaces (Ethernet, WiFi, or Bluetooth) to transmit the collected humidity and temperature readings to the central server.

For example, if I choose to use Ethernet,

Can't figure out what to do next ( TCP/IP, https)
I don't think I understand the question. So lets consider an analogy, we have the central office and five branch offices, there are people in each of these offices and there is a telephone network, so each office can call the central office and speak to the person there.

So what would be done here? Each office Could periodically call the central office and when their call is answered say "Hi, this is branch 3, the temp here right now is 73F and the humidity is 22%, thank you, bye" and hang up.

So solve the problem in the analogy and you'll likely develop a good solution for the actual problem.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
I normally use a TCP server on the microcontroller device that has the sensor network stack to deliver data to the remote networked server.
If we use ethernet interface and tcp ip server. so is the system inside the all branch office able to communicate with the central server over internet.

Are you sure you don't need http ?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If we use ethernet interface and tcp ip server. so is the system inside the all branch office able to communicate with the central server over internet.

Are you sure you don't need http ?
It could communicate directly to a remotely server if they all had public IP addresses but for security, that not always a wise configuration to use.

There normally is a simple HTTP stack on the micro-controller device that can be used for network configuration but it's not necessary (but could be used if that's what you understand) for sensor host/server data transfers. Raw socket interface programming works just fine no matter the physical connectivity interface (smoke signals to neutrino beam communications) with a proper networking stack.

Last edited: