Microchip/Forum: Is it really an improvement, Not?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I am unable to log in under my old registered name ?
The sit insists on giving me a new one??
You could be able to use your old registered name if there is a valid e-mail address linked with it.

First you get a: Mymicrochip Registration request
enter your old name as password
Then you should get a Verification Code for the Microchip Portal
for two factor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It asked for my email address and then registered me with a name I use on other sites, it will not allow me to use the one I have been using for some years there ??
It insisted on my email only.

Spectric

Joined Jun 5, 2023
I think it is more than just the forum that Microchip is having issues with, I am finding issues with documentation and a lot of conflicting detail . Then if you have tried to use the new flavour of MCC, AKA Melody then you will know the frustration that causes but as long as your MCU is supported by Classic you have a way out, it is those using the latest chips that are forced to use Melody I feel the pain for.

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
Microchip started changing the website couple of years ago and there was often issues with finding documentation, specially older docs and even those linked in new PCN messages. Sometimes these documents are available if i try download a week or couple later. But some links stay broken permanently :(

Spectric

Joined Jun 5, 2023
I am finding that some information like the developer help can be very good but at other times I seem to be playing a game of finding the missing pieces of a puzzle and spending time resolving ambiguous documentation. I can remember when there product info was just spot on but there software is really becoming bloatware, I cannot believe the time MPLAB takes to open a project so it must be doing a large amount of something in the background and I am using 16 Gb of RAM and a fast CPU.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I am finding that some information like the developer help can be very good but at other times I seem to be playing a game of finding the missing pieces of a puzzle and spending time resolving ambiguous documentation. I can remember when there product info was just spot on but there software is really becoming bloatware, I cannot believe the time MPLAB takes to open a project so it must be doing a large amount of something in the background and I am using 16 Gb of RAM and a fast CPU.
Forum update
https://forum.microchip.com/s/topic/a5C3l000000Bp6fEAC/t390923

I don't have a problem with mplabx v6.05 but v6.10 and MCC in general are steaming piles of cow dung. MCC is useful only at the basic level of showing how to configure a supported device module. With something like the CANBUS module on the PIC18 Q84 I'm currently working on, MCC, overall, is more trouble than it's worth.

At least there is decent detailed doc's on the e PIC18 CAN FD Module operation but there are quirks specific to each device family you must read the specific chip implementation data-sheet in detail to find.
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads...8/ProductDocuments/ProductBrief/90003266A.pdf

My current CAN network implementation using this chip runs at 5MHz with 64 byte packets in interrupt mode. The hardware runs perfectly once you crack the software nut, that's my bottom line for any project.

Spectric

Joined Jun 5, 2023
but there are quirks specific to each device family you must read the specific chip implementation data-sheet in detail to find.
That is something that is akin to a chicken and the egg. They tell you to look at the device specific data sheet which then informs you quote

"This data sheet summarizes the features
of the dsPIC33CK256MP508 family of
devices. It is not intended to be a comprehensive
resource. To complement the
information in this data sheet, refer to
the related section of the “dsPIC33/
PIC24 Family Reference Manual”,"

and the generic document raises more questions, you end up stitching the two together to get the data you need.

I am now back on MPLAB 6.05 having issues with 6.10 and thinking the issues were me, MCC classic I find just makes a mess of my program so I use a dummy project in which I use it to get a framework that I then use as the basis for my actual project. My current line of thoughts is to just go back to how I have done things for years and that is to produce all the files with proper comments that can be re-used for future projects and you know they work so just a question of getting your code to deliver without toolchain issues.

Spectric

Joined Jun 5, 2023
You would have thought that it's replacement would be announced at the same time, no good telling people what they can no longer use without a way forward.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
AFAIK the ICD 4 was EOL because the FPGA vendor stopped making the required part. Post a link to the pickit 4 EOL announcement please.