Mendlsons Surplus is closing the store Dayton, Ohio

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yes, not quite the same as when it was at Hara Arena. Used to go every year from Friday to Sunday for a number of years.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The Hara-Arena-and-parking-lot Hamvention was just plain massive, on a scale that young'ns probably can't imagine.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Mendlsons sold used junk? I buy brand new but reduced price "surplus" electronic parts from a surplus electronics store called Sayal.
I bought some Name Brand 5VDC/2A switching wall warts and Name Brand clock radios for $1.75 each. I play one of the clock radios every day into a 2-way speaker I built. In the clock radio I increased the values of two coupling capacitors so its output has deep bass sounds.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The Portland, OR area used to have 3 surplus stores; two Wacky Willy's and Surplus Gizmos. Surplus Gizmos is the only one still in business, but their prices aren't very compelling these days and they haven't had a sale for years.

My Kids loved going to Wacky Willy's; my Wife, not so much... They used to have sales where they sold things by the pound.

Haltec (in California) used to have by the pound sales, but all three stores went out of business years ago. They were my source copper clad for 2 cents per square inch when I lived in the Bay Area.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I love those places, I can just wander for hours and hours. We have one up here in Cleveland and it was located just up the road from the plant I worked in. During the summer seasons a few of us would wander over there. They put out hamburgers and hot dogs one day week, think it was Tuesdays. It was like a Disneyland for me. :)

Ron

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I love those places, I can just wander for hours and hours. We have one up here in Cleveland and it was located just up the road from the plant I worked in. During the summer seasons a few of us would wander over there. They put out hamburgers and hot dogs one day week, think it was Tuesdays. It was like a Disneyland for me. :)

Ron
You talking about HGR? Wed. was hotdog day back when I used to go there. The building was an old GM plant, automatic transmissions I was told by the salesman.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You talking about HGR? Wed. was hotdog day back when I used to go there. The building was an old GM plant, automatic transmissions I was told by the salesman.
That's it and I still occasionally visit their website. Last time looking for a slotted weight set. :) Yeah, I wasn't sure about the burger and dog day. I worked in the old TRW complex just up Euclid Avenue from there. Eventually the main plant moved a few blocks down to the old Rockwell Automation facility but my work and department remained where we were.

Ron