Megan Markle Baptised and confirmed.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
How meaningful is it when it is done as an obligation to someone/something else?
Max.

How do you know this isn't something she wanted to do?

I am sure Prince Henry would still be marrying her if she had a face of a horse, was 5' (1.5m) tall and weighed 250lbs (113 kg) and worked in a 7/11. :eek:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
How do you know this isn't something she wanted to do?
I don't, presumably she did it willingly just to satisfy the status quo.
My point is does one sacrifice their personal beliefs to satisfy someones else's wishes?
I remember a couple of years ago a couple met and planned on getting married, she came from a deeply religious Jewish family, they pressured him to obtain a circumcision and take the Jewish faith.
A year later they were divorced!
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How meaningful is it when it is done as an obligation to someone/something else?
Max.
But that probably applies to a significant fraction of people that do anything along these lines. They do it because it is what they are expected to do in the faith they are born into, regardless of whether they really want to or whether they truly believe. And this can apply to things that have nothing to do with religion. One of my classmates, who hated unions, joined a union because the girl he wanted to marry was in a union-all-the-way family.

qrb14143

Joined Mar 6, 2017
I would question how meaningful being baptised at birth is too though. If a person chooses to follow a faith then surely they should make that choice themselves later in life.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I don't, presumably she did it willingly just to satisfy the status quo.
My point is does one sacrifice their personal beliefs to satisfy someones else's wishes?
I remember a couple of years ago a couple met and planned on getting married, she came from a deeply religious Jewish family, they pressured him to obtain a circumcision and take the Jewish faith.
A year later they were divorced!
Max.

I don't think it is anyone else's business other than the person involved.

I think the bigger topic of discussion is would they still be getting married if one of them was ugly and poor? Would she be marrying Henry if was was well educated and refined but working at a 7/11? Probably not. Likewise for him.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't think it is anyone else's business other than the person involved.

I think the bigger topic of discussion is would they still be getting married if one of them was ugly and poor? Would she be marrying Henry if was was well educated and refined but working at a 7/11? Probably not. Likewise for him.
Why is that any more of anyone's business other than the persons involved?:confused:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Why is that any more of anyone's business other than the persons involved?:confused:

Not really but I think it very clearly shows their hypocrisy. And it is not just these two. Take Tom Brady and his super model wife. Would they still be married if he had the same personality and demeanor but poor, balding and weighed 300 lbs?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Not really but I think it very clearly shows their hypocrisy. And it is not just these two. Take Tom Brady and his super model wife. Would they still be married if he had the same personality and demeanor but poor, balding and weighed 300 lbs?
I'm missing something. Where is the hypocrisy?

Since I don't follow celebrities it's not surprising that I apparently missed where these two or Tom Brady and/or his wife have said that people shouldn't take physical appearance or wealth or social status into account when deciding who to be attracted to or who to marry.

Since many celebrities are notoriously hypocritical on many issues, it wouldn't surprise me that they have said that, but if they haven't then I just don't see the hypocrisy.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'm missing something. Where is the hypocrisy?

Since I don't follow celebrities it's not surprising that I apparently missed where these two or Tom Brady and/or his wife have said that people shouldn't take physical appearance or wealth or social status into account when deciding who to be attracted to or who to marry.

Since many celebrities are notoriously hypocritical on many issues, it wouldn't surprise me that they have said that, but if they haven't then I just don't see the hypocrisy.
Maybe hypocrisy is not the right word.

Love shouldn't be about how much someone has in their bank account. Physical attraction? I might give them that one at least for the initial attraction . But physical appearance is fleeting and usually changes over time. Pretty evident by the number of divorces in the celebrity community. At the risk of going political, sadly even our own president.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Personally I would not entertain the thought of trying to impress my beliefs on someone, just to satisfy my own personal beliefs.
This was the intended point of the OP.
I raised my kids to think for themselves on personal matters without impressing or forcing anything on them of a personal philosophical nature.
As did my parents to me.
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Personally I would not entertain the thought of trying to impress my beliefs on someone, just to satisfy my own personal beliefs.
I raised my kids to think for themselves on personal matters without impressing or forcing anything on them of a personal philosophical nature.
As did my parents to me.
Max.
We are trying to do the same with our daughter. While we are doing a pretty good job of not shoving our beliefs (or lack thereof) down her throat (except by the example we set, which there isn't much we can do about that) we are not doing a good job of exposing her to different belief systems so that she has the information to make up her own mind at some point. We should try to do better. If nothing else, she needs to interact with people from different belief systems (particularly Christianity, given that it is by far the dominant religion here) and her lack of awareness of most of the major themes of any of them puts her at a disadvantage even in following non-religious conversations that use figures of speak that have been derived by them.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@Max
No problem with your views, but your original post by asking "how meaningful" could easily be interpreted as criticizing what Megan/Harry did. So, in passing judgement, you are not simply stating your personal beliefs.

This thread has trouble written all over it.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
@Max
No problem with your views, but your original post by asking "how meaningful" could easily be interpreted as criticizing what Megan/Harry did. So, in passing judgement, you are not simply stating your personal beliefs.

This thread has trouble written all over it.
I'm not sure it's in trouble, if well meaning people keep religion in the correct context. Religion is nothing more than a form of Gov, you pay your Tax 10% or what ever attend, meetings etc, just like Union or Caucus to find out what duties if any you owe to the group, either carry out said duties or not and receive the social implication for not having done it or expect to hear praise from those in your group.

Systems of control have existed for a long time, religion is religion and belief system is different. Atheist can have a belief system equal to all the B - Attitudes mentioned in the bible, Koran, or Tora. Heck even Communism is a Religion. So, getting that out of the way, should hopefully not drown a perfectly acceptable thread of courtesy.

kv

Edit: Unless your bound and determined to undermine it. Not you @jpanhalt but others who repeatedly drown such threads.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
As did my parents to me.
Max.

It is one thing to do it out of love for another. Entirely another to do it out of greed and lust. That was sort of my point.

Then again if two people really love one another, there should be no reason they can't keep their personal beliefs.

But then again if you love someone and of course spend time with them it certainly follows that they can influence you for both good and bad. People change their beliefs all of the tiem.

I hope she is doing it for the right reason. But when you put it all together, it is hard to believe that it is.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
As did my parents to me.
Max.

Sometimes changing your beliefs has consequences. ;)

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/the-jokes-thread.60389/page-72#post-916373