Measuring water level in Well

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Have you taken a look at this link?
Haven't seen that one, but it appears that it would not work for me. I would like to measure over a range of 10 to 20 ft at a starting depth of 120ft +- a few feet. It is not clear that I could cut the sensor cable and add a hundred feet of two-conductor extension...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Haven't seen that one, but it appears that it would not work for me. I would like to measure over a range of 10 to 20 ft at a starting depth of 120ft +- a few feet. It is not clear that I could cut the sensor cable and add a hundred feet of two-conductor extension...
Maybe it's been suggested before, but I'd use a gauge/differential digital pressure sensor with a range of around 15 psi (20 feet of water will give you a little less than 9 PSI) connected to a hose. I'd lower the hose all the way down to the lowest point you wish to measure, and then I'd pump some air into the hose, so as to let all the water out of it. Afterwards, I'd just measure the pressure and convert it to feet of water... I've done that before in a different project using one of these sensors. It's simple to read, and also easy to display the info on an LCD using an 8051 micro controller. The sensor's a little expensive, but it's highly reliable and you'd end up with very few components.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I just came across this magnetic pot sensors that can be configured as voltage dividers and hence allow you to translate the signal into distance/displacement. A magnet placed close to this device would act as the pot's wiper. Placing the magnet on a float outside a sealed PVC tube with the sensor installed inside would let you do what you want with lots of accuracy and simplicity.