Measure pressure on a push button

arge

Joined Aug 4, 2017
Dear All,

I am looking for a way to measure the pressure on a push button when it is pressed. I intend to save it in flash of a microcontroller.

It would be great if you have any suggestions about available devices that be used.

Thanks,

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Dear All,

I am looking for a way to measure the pressure on a push button when it is pressed. I intend to save it in flash of a microcontroller.

It would be great if you have any suggestions about available devices that be used.

Thanks,
First, to get an idea, most major manufacturers list the typical pressure range needed on their datasheet. If it is a one-off supplier from eBay, no datasheet is likely.

If you can find a scale that can record max weight, put your whole device on the scale, set the scale to record max weight, then press the button and check the scale for the max pressure.

arge

Joined Aug 4, 2017
In my project, I want to find out the approximate count for which the button is working properly. I will store the count as well the force/pressure on it to understand it better

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
In my project, I want to find out the approximate count for which the button is working properly. I will store the count as well the force/pressure on it to understand it better
The manufacutrer should provide such data.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Were you planning on testing hundreds of switches as in a production line test? How automated did you want to get? Using this switch data sheet as an example and as was mentioned, manufacturers generally include "Actuating Force" in their data sheets. Here is another example where they use centinewtons. Now if you are planning a production testing process I would start with a strain gauge, as was mentioned, having a low range. Maybe 0 to 5 Lb or 0 to 2.5 kG. That done I would amplify the output of the load cell for something like 0 to 5 VDC so 5 VDC is full scale on your load cell.

At this point you have a few options. Depends on what you want to do. You mentioned :
I intend to save it in flash of a microcontroller.
Keeping it simple you could use a micro controller like an Arduino with a Arduino ethernet shield which allows storage or any number of storage methods. You could also dump the data into Excel or whatever works for you.

Make a test fixture (jig) using along the lines of an arbor press to support your unit under test (switch) and your transducer.

This all depends on exactly what you want to do. There are countless ways to go about it.

Ron