Measure of current using clamp meter

Lemon_Foam

Joined Sep 18, 2017
I have a leakage current clamp meter (Kyoritsu KEW SNAP MODEL 2413F).
Could this clamp meter use for measure AC current flow into a device? Or it only can be used to measure the leakage current of a device.

If it was possible to measure AC current flow into a device, how should i clamp? Only clamp on either Live or Neutral wire?

Lemon_Foam

Joined Sep 18, 2017
Yes it will measure AC current only, 200mA to 1000A.

Clamp on either Live or Neutral.
If I clamp it on live wire, is it measure the actual ac flow through the live wire or leakage current flow through the live wire?

Since device is a leakage current clamp meter

Lemon_Foam

Joined Sep 18, 2017
What would happen if you put both the line and the neutral thru the clamp?

What would you read?
It will be 0 if i clamp on both live and neutral of my control box. It show me a reading of 0.6A when i clamp on either live or neutral wire of my control box.
But my question is the 0.6A i get is actual ac current flow into my control box? Or it was just the leakage current since the meter is label as leakage current meter.

Capture.JPG

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Any ammeter can detect leakage current. The reason that meter is called a leakage meter......is because of it's large capture loop size. This allows multiple large conductors.

So if you detect zero with both the neutral and line enclosed, there is no leakage. If you do get a reading with both wires, that reading, is your leakage current.

When you measure one wire at a time.......that reading is circuit current.

So, you load is drawing .6 amps.

Lemon_Foam

Joined Sep 18, 2017
Any ammeter can detect leakage current. The reason that meter is called a leakage meter......is because of it's large capture loop size. This allows multiple large conductors.

So if you detect zero with both the neutral and line enclosed, there is no leakage. If you do get a reading with both wires, that reading, is your leakage current.

When you measure one wire at a time.......that reading is circuit current.

So, you load is drawing .6 amps.
Thank you for ur explanation, but could i know what is the different between leakage current and earth leakage current.
From ur explanation, we could measure leakage current by the method of clamp up 2 wire together (it should be shown in the figure 5)
When we just clamp up the earth wire, it can use to measure earth leakage current (it should be shown in the figure 4)

So could i know what is the different between leakage current and earth leakage current

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Fig. 3......that shows what they call line current or load current or circuit current. It's the rated operating current for the load.

Fig. 4......normally, this should be zero. This is a safety path for current to go during equipment failure. It does two things when it works properly. In case of equipment failure, it stops a voltage potential from forming on the exterior of the equipment, preventing electrocution. It also serves as a current path to trip the circuit breaker, which will de-energizing the failed circuit.

Fig. 5.......this should be normally zero. If it reads a value, that value is being leaked. The leak has two paths. If the safety ground is functioning properly, you should find that same value in the earth wire.

BUT......if the equipment is in contact with earth ground.........you might see zero on earth lead and still have a leak. Are you understanding this?

Fig. 6......Same principle. Do you have three phase power?

One should study and learn from an experienced person, before working with AC power.