MATLAB time delay

ircommando

Joined Jun 17, 2009
I am writing a simple program that repeats itself forever until the user stops it. It samples a waveform from an oscope and when one of the waveforms meets a certain criteria it stops the scope, saves the waveforms on all four channels, starts the scope back up, and starts over again. My question is how can I delay the repeated sampling of the "trigger" waveform.The wavefrom does not change that quickly so if I could sample it every 5-10 seconds that would save my computer from incessantly computing the trigger condition. The test could run for well over a day so giving the computer a break is probably a good thing. I bet there is a very simple solution to this, but I am a noobie to programming, and am still learning a lot of the basic tricks so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.:D

ryta

Joined Aug 27, 2009
hi buddy you can do this by applying loop condition in it and just insert a condition such that which can execute your loop infinitely until that condition is satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:

prionkor

Joined Jun 8, 2009
You can try by infinite loop. Use while or for loop. Most commonly used loop for infinite loop is while. Here is a simple program which has a infinite while loop defined by while(1):

i=0;
while(1)
i
if i==1000
break
end
i = i+1;
end

if statement is very important in infinite loop where in certain you have to break the loop. Otherwise the loop will never stops. I this case you will able to break the loop by pressing ctrl+c in PC or cmd+c in mac.

Thanks.

you may be use 'clock' function. this function is return that your computer's time
c = clock
c = [year month day hour minute seconds]

c =
1.0e+003 *
2.0090 0.0100 0.0040 0.0020 0.0110 0.0485

ircommando

Joined Jun 17, 2009
Thanks to all that responded, but if anyone else looks at this and is new to MATLAB and not acquainted with its many functions, as I wasn't, I found that the easiest way to accomplish what I asked was to use the pause function somewhere in the while loop. pause(1) will cause execution of the M-file to stop for one second, pause(.1) will cause it to stop for .1 seconds, etc. Thanks again for responding.