Mathematics is a representation?

Song

Joined Apr 3, 2005
hmm...i think that mathematics is a representation of matter, ideas, and space............so it doesn't really exist..only we make it exist...

well that's my theory....it might be wrong it might be right..

what do you think??

dragan733

Joined Dec 12, 2004
Already we started to philosophize. :)
On this manner about the mathematics you describe that the world is our subjective representation - Berkley
Else, with the mathematics and with the love we approach to the God - Platon
Really the mathematics gives the order to the objects and so realy we approach to the God, who is a representation to the order.
Else, except the Electronics, my good side are also the mathematics and the philosophy. :)
Regards

Song

Joined Apr 3, 2005
Originally posted by dragan733@Apr 3 2005, 03:27 AM
Already we started to philosophize. :)
On this manner about the mathematics you describe that the world is our subjective representation - Berkley
Else, with the mathematics and with the love we approach to the God - Platon
Really the mathematics gives the order to the objects and so realy we approach to the God, who is a representation to the order.
Else, except the Electronics, my good side are also the mathematics and the philosophy. :)
Regards
[post=6672]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for posting....well that is true what you said about platon...and anyways if mathematics didn't exist then, there would be no order and advancement...

i guess you're correct!! *^o^*
thanks for posting!!

also do you know how mathematics is involved in the microprocessor?
is it via boolean algebra, binary representation, etc.??

thanks again!!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

The definition of a computer is that it is a numeric engine - a machine that runs on numbers. Everything in a computer is numeric. Type a key, and the action enters a number - the ASCII code, a numeric value - into a location in memory, also defined by a number. If you want to deal with a physical entity, then an appropriate interface must convert that thing into a numeric value. Think of an analog to digital converter. The instruction set is simply a set of rules that enable us to handle those numbers in specified ways.

Getting into philosophy, I think mathematics is exclusively a human activity. The computer can do the math, once it has been properly understood by humans, but computers are not able to do the kind of things that extend mathematics. That calls for intelligence.

This can go off into subjects like artificial intelligence, but I have always felt that it's a blind alley. For one thing, there's not yet any agreed-on definition of intelligence, so pursuing something not at all understood seems to be a waste of time and energy. That may change in the future, but I wouldn't take bets.

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Originally posted by beenthere@Apr 3 2005, 04:31 PM
..... like artificial intelligence, ......
For one thing, there's not yet any agreed-on definition of intelligence.....
[post=6681]Quoted post[/post]​
A few years back I saw a very well presented paper proposing that intelligence, whether real or "artificial", boiled down to pattern recognition.