manufacturing Raspberry compatible board

createcode

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Hi Everyone!
Can you tell me what kind of machinery is needed for manufacturing Raspberry compatible board, low Volume Throughput?
Thank you!

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Hi Everyone!
Can you tell me what kind of machinery is needed for manufacturing Raspberry compatible board, low Volume Throughput?
Thank you!
Generally you are asking machinery needed for manufacturing chip. Raspberry is small type of computer. Chip making involve in various methods. it's the subfield of computer engineering and electronics engineering.

So when ever We make any processor chip.We make design on computer using CAD tool's like cadence.We make block diagram, circuit design layout design then we verify design by looking the logic and timing diagram and so many process.

so when we get ready layout design, we send layout design to manufacturing plant (fabrication processor). Where they make processor chip on small silicon wafer.

The semiconductor fabrication contains instruments such as steppers, etching, cleaning, doping and dicing

Please visit here http://anysilicon.com/semipedia/semiconductor-fabrication-plant/

Note : I am not expert and I have not worked with any companies. I have just read about it little bit. I hope someone will give you better answer.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You need at least the following:
  1. SMT pick 'n place machine
  2. SMT reflow oven
  3. SMT rework station
I'm guessing this could be had for $250,000 - $500,000. Hope you have a friendly banker.
If your board has thru-hole parts you're going to need some more.....

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Could be as simple as a soldering iron if using through hole components,etc...
Add on a hot air gun and you can do surface mount parts..
Its NOT gonna be fast nor cost effective though that way at all..

A board assembly house will have a full SMT (surface mount technology) line composed of conveyors, board orientators, stencil/paste applicators, pick and place machines, reflow ovens,, inspection stations,etc...
And yes that can easily run you hundreds of thousands of dollars not to mention considerable expertise/training/documentation/process control Engineers,etc...

There are numerous sources now for low volume circuit board assemblies..
One of my favorites is right here.. I've never used them for assemblies but I've bought the bare boards from them quite a few times..
https://www.itead.cc/pcba