MacBook Pro 15" Flash drive dead

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All,

Trust you are well.

Some of you know that ~ 2 years ago I bought a 2015 MacBook Pro 15" but unfortunately, long story short, the flash storage 256gb ssd died.

Took it to Apple...BUT I will have to pay ~ $1000 (new flash storage + VAT + labour) which seems too much!

So I have a couple option in mind:
- Ask to replace a new flash drive of half the size of the original, ie 128gb to cut the cost and I can still add expansion card like this ;

- Or buy a 256 gb ssd and have an unauthorised person have it installed for me;

Any suggestion?

Please post links where I can buy such flash storage.
Btw how do I make sure I buy the right one for my MacBook Pro?

Many Thanks
Eric007

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My MacBook is older than yours (late 2011) and I installed an SSD myself. It was not difficult as long as you have the proper tools. The process may have become more difficult since then but $1000 sounds absurd. The drive itself should be under $100.

I have a 256 due to a long story but would go bigger to 512 or more if I was doing it again.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
My MacBook is older than yours (late 2011) and I installed an SSD myself. It was not difficult as long as you have the proper tools. The process may have become more difficult since then but $1000 sounds absurd. The drive itself should be under $100.

I have a 256 due to a long story but would go bigger to 512 or more if I was doing it again.
Where can I buy/order a new ssd? Can you send links please?

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I also assume that ssd drives have evolve and are faster so this is an opportunity for me upgrade it in size and speed.

So what are the new type of SSDs?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
In US 256 GB SSD is about 40-60 USD.
I would look through various tutorials and do the work myself.

You should be able to find ssd on European Amazon. I have now bought tools twice from German Amazon. Ebay is also an option.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
In US 256 GB SSD is about 40-60 USD.
I would look through various tutorials and do the work myself.

You should be able to find ssd on European Amazon. I have now bought tools twice from German Amazon. Ebay is also an option.
Not sure which of my previous post you are replying to BUT on my last one I said I will go for the below which is 1.0 TB (~ 4x bigger) and much faster and would like to have your comment on it

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/S3DAPT4MB10/

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
OWC is a top notch supplier. You might find cheaper options but at lower service levels.

I can’t comment on the drive itself. I didn’t know the Mac drive is such a different configuration than “normal” ones. Not surprised.

Have you read through what the replacement process will be like? I’d like to know in advance just what I was facing.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
OWC is a top notch supplier. You might find cheaper options but at lower service levels.

I can’t comment on the drive itself. I didn’t know the Mac drive is such a different configuration than “normal” ones. Not surprised.

Have you read through what the replacement process will be like? I’d like to know in advance just what I was facing.
Here is the replacement process in video. It seems straight forward!