Mac Software

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
Anyone no where I can find good mac circuit simulation. Yeah, I am sorry. A mac user who is trying to be an engineer. Anyway, I have searched google pretty thoroughly and only found 2 downloadables, both of which did not work. Preferably if anyone knows of something with more visual interface than command line, that's great, if not that than SPICE, and if neither of those anything will do (I don't know many simulators, so there is probably something better than SPICE I don't know about),

Thanks a lot

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
"Mac" and "engineer" doesn't go together well!

The only package I'm aware of is MacSpice, and comments on MacRumours suggest that it is the best you are going to get. Looks like you might be better investing in a Windows license and running it (ideally) on its own partition or get Parallels and run it that way.

My experience of using scientific and engineering software on a Mac is anything but good.

Dave

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
I know, I should put windows on this. I am just so reluctant. I used windows for 14 years and never liked the interface, and then I finally go my own computer, a mac, and now it is hard to go back... I will try though, thanks

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
on the command line interface for SPICE, what is the first thing you must type, everytime I try to add a component it says not available in SPICE. maybe it is just a mac thing, but when a new project is started what are the first few commands you enter?

gvenn

Joined Apr 23, 2008
Try QUCS. I would install via macports. Not sure about the degree of spice support (if any), though. I'm being a little vague on this as you must be UNIX capable to install this package. Anyway seems to work pretty well.

lostowl05661

Joined Apr 18, 2008
I just installed qucs and it is pretty slick. It has a drag and drop circuit designer, which is easier for me than writing text files for spice.

It took me a couple of days to figure it out (mostly because I am a Linux user and don't really know how to relax and think Mac) and heres what I did:

1) Install the latest version of Xcode for your OS. For 10.4, its Xcode 2.4. For 10.5, it's Xcode 3.

2) Install X11 from the OS X dvds. Check online for directions.

3) Install darwin ports. Note: From the down load page, there aren't actual directions. Search for the Installation instructions.

4) Set your environment variables per the Darwin install instructions.

5) Run the command line command to install qucs

6) Open the xwindows terminal and run qucs

Note: I had to let darwin ports install about a billion packages. It took about two hours. But, now, I happily downloading the tutorials and workbook to learn to use it.

Good luck.