Lower Voltage??

Directlinq

Joined Jul 7, 2007
I have an 240volt ac to dc power supply that gives me 15volts 10amps dc output. What could i use and how to lower this voltage down to 12volts 10amps dc? I would like to do this from the output as i dont want to open the power supply as it will invalidate my warranty.

I know this is probably easy for you guys but i have been searching for over 12 hours now and can only find circuits that handle ma not amps.

Many Thanks in advance

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
what i can think as of now is the adjustable LT1083CP capable of handling a max of 7.5A of Linear Tech or the MIC29752BWT of Fairchild. however if you really need more than 7.5A, you can do a parallel circuit for that.

moz

Attachments

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
I have an 240volt ac to dc power supply that gives me 15volts 10amps dc output. What could i use and how to lower this voltage down to 12volts 10amps dc? I would like to do this from the output as i dont want to open the power supply as it will invalidate my warranty.

I know this is probably easy for you guys but i have been searching for over 12 hours now and can only find circuits that handle ma not amps.

Many Thanks in advance
You want to look for DC-DC converters or switching regulators. Checkout On-Semi,
Linear Technology and National Semiconductor. If you try to do step down from
15V to 12V at 10A with a linear regulator you will need to dissipate 30W which
is 20% of your output power.

Also check to see if your power supply has a trim pin. Some supplies can be adjusted
externally.

(* jcl *)