Low voltage panel meter wiring help please

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Was shopping on Amazon (don't judge) when I came across this very cheap (inexpensive) Volt / Amp meter. For the money I though I'd go ahead and grab one just for the heck of it. It's been a while now, and I never got any hookup or calibration instructions. Looking for some help.

Does anyone know how to hook this up? I've searched the net and haven't found my exact meter. I've found something close, and it works as far as voltage goes (needs calibration) but I can't get it to read amps. It's a 4.5 to 30 Volt supply and 100 A (with shunt) meter. I think I want to use it for something. Also would appreciate suggestions for calibration. Particularly on amps. So far, voltage reading of 16.2 (panel meter) 15.75 (Extech meter). That can't be right. Need to adjust voltage. One of the two trim pots will accomplish that I'm sure. The other trim pot is for amperage, but I'd like some suggestions on that.

Thanks.

1590160070430.png 1590160120248.png

Attachments

Last edited:

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Here's what I know so far: Red & Black are Pos & Neg. Yellow seems to be a sense for amperage and the blue for voltage sensing. Voltage sensing works (but needs cal.). Not sure about the yellow and the green. This is the only diagram I have, and it doesn't match my meter. (Ignore the motor and controller, I haven't an exact application for it just yet)

1590160417531.png

This is what I've come up with (best guess so far):
1590160447382.png

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Yes, requires a shunt. I have one. Somewhere. I'm sure I can find it fairly quickly, but I'd like to know how to hook it up first.

And none of those links are the same as my meter.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
The thing I'm most uncertain with is the yellow wire going to the load and to the shunt; and the black wire going to the shunt and to the common (which I THINK is green). Instructions in the diagram I have indicate that when hooked up that way you don't hook up the black ground wire to the power source. Ground (negative) goes to a shunt and from the shunt it goes to the load. The green (again guessing) and yellow wires set up a voltage drop which the meter reads as amperage. I THINK! Not sure. But I suppose in the end if I blow it up - so-be-it.

I'm expecting to be getting a camping (pop-up) trailer and will want to know battery voltage and perhaps the amps being drawn during use.