Low Level Pulse Signal over 500ms

Dan Burfield

Joined Aug 12, 2010
I am trying to get a small 5v video camera to work. Eachine 2202M.
It requires a "Low level pulse signal to trigger start/stop video recording. Pulse needs to be over 500ms. Needs to be less that 3.3v."

How do I generate this pulse using 5v on/off momentary switch?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Dan Burfield

Joined Aug 12, 2010
Don't understand what you mean by "Needs to be less that 3.3v."
So it can't be 5V?
How much less?

This is from the instructions online:

3PINS Control signal

1. Low level pulse signal triggering to start/stop photo with one I/O interface, pulse need to be between 100ms ~ 490ms, otherwise it is invalid.

2. Low level pulse signal triggering to start/stop video with one I/O interface, pulse need to be over 500ms, otherwise it is invalid.

The peak voltage of input control signal needs to be less than 3.3V.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Can you post a link to those online instructions, so that we can see them in context? It's odd that a 5V camera would require an input control signal to have a 3.3V maximum.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Not really. 5 V power because that's everywhere on USB ports and chargers. 3.3V controls because the chips are running on 3.3V after an onboard refgulator.

ak

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
"You can deliver 5v via a resistor.
Only one resistor? Really? Wow, that's great! Which one?"

One resistor can be used, It depends on the input impedance of the device you are controlling.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am trying to get a small 5v video camera to work. Eachine 2202M.
It requires a "Low level pulse signal to trigger start/stop video recording. Pulse needs to be over 500ms. Needs to be less that 3.3v."

How do I generate this pulse using 5v on/off momentary switch?
Can you post a PDF of the instructions? I saw somewhere that the requirements for video and photo were reversed. If that's the case, the longer than 500mS pulse would take a picture, not record video.

Are you using this in a drone, or are you repurposing?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Hey Alec- it would be mechanical.
Check your camera to see if the manual is correct. If you actually need a negative pulse of 100-490mS to start video recording, the circuit below will do it:
upload_2016-2-21_13-34-9.png
IC1 is a single TinyLogic Schmitt Inverter.

The time of the low pulse is \( \small -t = RC ln\frac{1.0V}{3.3V}\)
200K and 1uF will give about 240mS. Pulse width depends on the negative threshold voltage, which I assumed to be 1.0V (typical at VCC=3.0V).

If you really need a 500mS+ pulse to start video recording, just hold the switch closed for a second.

The pulse will be generated when power is applied. I assume taking a picture would stop video recording, so you can press the switch for a second to stop recording. Then press the switch again when you want recording to start.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I think I see your concern. If you want it to work from the 4.2 volt battery you can drop the voltage to 3.3 with a restive divider.

upload_2016-2-21_20-2-27.png

Dan Burfield

Joined Aug 12, 2010
Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I am slowly poking my way through DL324's design. I am using it as a map, finding the parts/data sheets, for the Schmitt inverter specifically and drawing pic of how i will solder it all together.

I have one concern at the moment. The inverter I found seems awfully small for soldering. Is there something bigger/more friendly that I am missing?

Thanks again so much for the help, I'll keep you updated with my progress.

-Dan

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have one concern at the moment. The inverter I found seems awfully small for soldering. Is there something bigger/more friendly that I am missing?
My intent was to save you weight and area by specifying a surface mount component. If that isn't a concern, there are many ways to get the pulse you want. You could switch to through hole components (e.g. 74C14) but you'll have 5 unused inverters and should probably consider other solutions.

I recommend that you test any circuits before doing final assembly and confirm whether you need a 100-490mS or 500+mS pulse.

The schematic I gave will give something in the 125-410mS pulse for the min/max threshold voltages for the inverter and a 20% tolerance (total) on the R and C.

Chajtek

Joined Aug 27, 2017
Ive just connected one of this cameras to powerbank. If you dont need to remotelly trigger camera (as you seem to) you can just connect 5V and button between Gnd and signal cable. Signal cable has already 3.3V, so sort to GND (best via small resistor) will generate pulse. Short pulse trigger photo, long pulse trigger video. Job done. 4th pin has 3.3V but doesnt do anything.
This also shows that this simple circuit can be easily triggered by motion sensors with LED indicators without any additional circuits as they usually generate such pulses.