Looking To Buy First Oscilloscope. Recommendations?

NFA Fabrication

Joined Aug 12, 2012
I am toying with the idea of buying an Oscilloscope. Browsing Ebay, I have found some in the $300 range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADS1022-DIG...27265?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item5ae57b6a61

I am a basic hobbyist, and am actively researching electronics, and doing more and more projects by the day. What would you guys recommend? Can I get something reasonable in this price range? Will a little more money get me something that much better? Not sure where to start on this!

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Check into B&K Precision....... good solid equipment, and they stand behind you down the road.
I have an "obsolete" model of their 1540A, [ 40 Mhz Dual ] and when I asked about where to get it's calibration checked, they told me it was obso, tho' they would send me info to calibrate it............
They sent board trace, component layout, parts list, and a complete regimen to check all functions......... more support than I ever hoped for !!!

B&K Forever ~!!!

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
Along a different vein, a guy named Wolfgang Machen or "Womai" on the net sells a kit for his Dpscope. It has a truck load of features in a compact package for $50.
My old Tektronix just keeps on ticking and takes a licking, or I would have bought one of these a long time ago.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
I found a perfectly good used Tek scope for $220, from a guy who renovates used scopes and sells them as a hobby. He lives in a suburb north of Seattle.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
My general rule is buy USED older top-of-the-line gear -Tektronix, HP, etc.

1) you can almost always sell it for what you paid for it.

2) it's a pleasure to work with good quality gear.

Stay away from computer-based instruments in general, they work, but force you into an awkward work-flow that IMHO is not value producing in the long run.