Looking for super capacitors

refuture

Joined Jul 18, 2007
Hi, I'm new, searched for hours for such on google, ect, and can't find any prices, just articals about super capacitors and mega-suppliers without prices. I've even tried "electronics parts stores" and can't seem to find any comprehensive retail electronics parts supplier other than Digikey. Is there an easeir way to find super capacitors and not "out of this world" priced solar panels) than the search engines?
I just want to (try) to put together a "solar-capacitor" led light, and know a little about ohms law. Hopefully, this will motivate me to learn more about circuits!

Thanks

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
I just want to (try) to put together a "solar-capacitor" led light, and know a little about ohms law. Hopefully, this will motivate me to learn more about circuits!

Thanks
You didn't say how much capacitance you require.

The Cooper-Bussman supercaps PA-5R0V224-R and PA-5R0V474-R
are in stock at Digikey. These are the ultra-low ESR 5V caps. They
are in the $5-$6 range.

(* jcl *)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You might try Skycraft Surplus in Orlando. When I was in there a couple of months ago, they had some 1 farad, low voltage electrolytic caps. You could put a couple of those in series if need be to increase the voltage - of course that would reduce the capacitance, but how much do you feel you need?

Solar panels aren't going to come cheaply, even at a surplus store - and each panel will produce low voltage and low current, necessitating an array of them. It will take quite a while to charge up a large cap to a useable voltage.