Looking for suitable board with long range wifi - beginner question

bracketmounts

Joined Jul 8, 2019
Hi, I am a new member and I will be grateful for any guidance. I have been reading on my requirements but the first few steps I have found are usually above my level of understanding and I come to a stop rather suddenly. I have been reading about IoT and in particular boards with wifi such as Pi, Arduino, NodeMCU, Zigbee, and the like to help me with an issue.

I need to record a signal and time stamp it. Let's assume the signal is something like an on / off recording, something like a simple limit switch. I want that physically connected to a board (device) that is small and is battery operated. This board needs to send a wifi signal up to preferably 100m to a wifi / ethernet switch by IP address. The switch is connected to a PC. The PC has a small program that captures the time stamp.I may have multiple limit switches and boards which all connect to the same switch and all have their time stamps recorded.

Some important points:
  • I want the boards to be small; smaller the better. I will preferably like to have them covered in heat shrink wrap or in a plastic / perspex case once connected to the switch / actuator.
  • I want them to be the cheapest solution. They may positioned in locations were they may well be damaged by impact, moisture, heat or oil. Their destruction and timing may be important in the data I collect. A $40 arduino will be too expensive to replace every day or so.
  • I would realistically like to get a week's battery life out of them. Again I would like the battery as compact as possible and rechargable.
  • I can handle the Windows program to record the timestamping.
  • I have attached a diagram below showing what I believe (happy to be shown a better method) of what I need.
So my questions are:
  1. What would you use for the board with wifi and why? What are the cheapest boards that will do the job?
  2. Would you look for 2.4gHz wifi with dynamic IP or use some of the newer IoT wifi frequencies types with unique IP built in?
  3. There may be three phase power nearby at times. I am not sure if electrical interference will affect some IoT frequencies.
  4. Would you use a standard ethernet switch for 2.4gHz wifi? A gentleman at an electronic supplier suggested a NodeMCU with wifi module networked to a Zigbee switch that was then connected to an ethernet / Wifi switch. But I cannot find simple information on how this comes together.
  5. What battery would you use and why?
  6. Where to I get the power usage specs of the boards running 24 hours with wifi (assumed largest working distance) so I can calculate the battery size needed?
As you can see from my questions they are at a very basic level and the datasheets and reading I have done seem to start at a level above the info I am looking for. I would be grateful for any guidance on where I can begin my search. If you could go as far as to offer pros and cons for specific hardware I would also like very much to hear your perspective.
Diagram 1.JPG

I thank you in advance for your understanding and I hope I can some day contribute to your fine forum.

bracketmounts

Joined Jul 8, 2019
I forgot to mention, is an ESP8266 suitable on its own without a major board. I was reading that it has a microcontroller onboard and can be programmed directly but I came to a dead end on it.

CharlesWMcDonald

Joined May 16, 2019
WIFI was not intended for long range but LoRA is and the modules are cheap. You can get a module for less than $10. Your range could be exceed 10KM.

bracketmounts

Joined Jul 8, 2019
frequency maybe maximum every 20 seconds. time resolution within a second is fine.

I have just ordered one of these http://www.ebyte.com/en/product-view-news.aspx?id=176 but the basic question like whether I can connect a simple limit style on/off switch to this and have it send a signal is something I just cannot find. Or do I need to add this to a board?

I have also ordered this https://www.lazada.co.th/-i150410834-s175568672.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

These basic questions seem to just be assumed even in the most basic tutorials I can find. It is hard to get a starting point.