Looking for schematics of old Audio/Video Chips.

AnalogDigitalDesigner

Joined Jan 22, 2018
I wonder if any of you know about audio and video chips with complete schematics that I could study ? I am looking to study some of the old audio/video chips of the past, with their schematics.

If you can advise me on where to look, thank you very much........

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Video - Don Lancaster's TV Typewriter I never got to actually building one but I always liked almost everything that I ever read from him. I once called him up because I was trying to solder a ram chip on a TRS-80 so that I could get lower-case descender on the characters and I had no real idea what an IC actually was. He actually took a few minutes to explain it to me - and it worked.

GI's AY-3-8910 was hugely popular early on and was interfaced to everything around.

TI deserves mention with the SN76489

Sid chip - Commodore's sound chip that did some amazing things.

Then Yamaha made a bunch of OPL chips, but they were hard to find and/or I figured out that even electronic music was beyond me :)

Seriously, search for any of those and you will find a ton of archival circuits.

AnalogDigitalDesigner

Joined Jan 22, 2018
Hello guys. Thanks for your contribution. Thanks for reminding me about the national notes.

Is that a good way to learn electronics? Reading their application notes? Is that the ultimate way to learn ?

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
An awful lot of audio and video processing can be done with basic things like opamps, timers, comparators, analog switches, etc. If you don't already have the book The Art Of Electronics, that's a good place to start.