Looking for new drill press

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
The CNC3020 is acceptable for milling but only if you use a flat bed and the workpiece is flat (this is true for all machines).
The spindle is 12000RPM which is good enough for 1.6mm material. It is only economical for those who want to make many PCBs and proto-type quickly. Then there is the software side, you will need linux or purchase a licence for Mach3.

All the best,
Robin Mitchell

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The CNC3020 is acceptable for milling but only if you use a flat bed and the workpiece is flat (this is true for all machines).
The spindle is 12000RPM which is good enough for 1.6mm material. It is only economical for those who want to make many PCBs and proto-type quickly. Then there is the software side, you will need linux or purchase a licence for Mach3.

All the best,
Robin Mitchell

Thanks! You may have missed where I asked you to post to this thread

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/milling-pcbs.118705/

instead. I think your input would be valuable to the thread, using the thread as a future resource.

Do you mind copying your comment over there? I can do it for you but it might look better coming from you.

Additional questions are how to make sure you have a flat workpiece? PCBs are certainly not flat.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You will never get my drill press! But then, you'd need a forklift to move it.:p
That cast iron monster is so heavy that I use a hydraulic car jack to adjust the height of the top arm!
Now, if you could just buy one that good for $29.95 and have it weigh 8 pounds.:D

Attachments

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

SWer

Joined Dec 20, 2015
You might consider this drill press. I have one and it has very little if any run-out. The company also makes a very
well designed X-Y table for the drill press as well as many precision hobby tools.

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-benchtop-variable-speed-mini-hobby-drill-press,8283.html

Also a quick remark about CNC circuit board routing - it is a very labor intensive and quite expensive way to make circuit boards. The bits are expensive and wear out rather quickly.