Looking For GPS Time Receiver

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I'm looking for a simple GPS time receiver that can be used for generating time marks on a seismograph recorder.

The recorder uses the old fashioned pen galvanometer like the one shown in my avatar. I would like to send a small pulse to the galvanometer every minute and two pulses every hour which will generate a small time mark on the record.

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
You could use one of these,

https://www.adafruit.com/products/746

along with an Arduino or other suitable microcontroller to decode the NMEA strings and generate the pulses for the galvanometer.

One of the projects in my queue is a digital clock using that module; I bought one, and it works very well.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Since the adafruit module provides a one pulse per second output, you can do an interface circuit with all CMOS logic if programming a uC is a problem.

ak

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm looking for a simple GPS time receiver that can be used for generating time marks on a seismograph recorder.

The recorder uses the old fashioned pen galvanometer like the one shown in my avatar. I would like to send a small pulse to the galvanometer every minute and two pulses every hour which will generate a small time mark on the record.
At least one UK hobby magazine has recently published GPS projects, but I think the main thrust was a GPS locked 1Hz frequency standard.

There's almost certainly projects you can find online, and maybe kits as well.

An alternative that might be simpler to implement is the radio time signals that many countries seem to have.

In the UK we have the 60kHz MSF transmitter in Anthorne near Cumbria, Germany has the 77kHz DCF station in Frankfurt and USA has WWV on various frequencies.

My Casio Waveceptor wristwatch has a list of stations it can sync to, the the list is far from complete.