Looking for easy and cheap way to increment lights 1 through 4 with 1 24v input

no_code

Joined Feb 3, 2021
I work in manufacturing and recently inherited an assembly process that involves torqueing 4 bolts in a specific pattern, making 5 passes. I am looking for cost effective way to show the operator which bolt they should be on. I could use a PLC but it is 'not in the budget'. I can get a 24v signal every time a single torque is completed. Can anyone tell me if there is an off-the-shelf item that can get a 24v input and increment through 4 outputs? If I could just build a panel with 4 indicator lights, it would help my operators a ton. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question. Any help is greatly appreciated.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It could be done fairly easily with a CD4017 IC counter and a few other parts plus a 5V to 15V DC supply (such as a wall-wort).

Are you able to solder a few electronic parts onto a vector-board type breadboard?

Beside the increment signal, you will need a reset signal (or push-button switch) to go to the start of the sequence.

no_code

Joined Feb 3, 2021
Thank you. I am going to be perfectly honest and say that, aside from 'push-button', I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't want you to feel that you wasted your time in responding. Now I have some homework to do.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I work in manufacturing and recently inherited an assembly process that involves torqueing 4 bolts in a specific pattern, making 5 passes. I am looking for cost effective way to show the operator which bolt they should be on. I could use a PLC but it is 'not in the budget'. I can get a 24v signal every time a single torque is completed. Can anyone tell me if there is an off-the-shelf item that can get a 24v input and increment through 4 outputs? If I could just build a panel with 4 indicator lights, it would help my operators a ton. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Are you sure a PLC is out of the budget?
They are very inexpensive these days. Especially for your application.