Looking For a 1K Resistor for my Dewalt DCS355 oscillating tool.

KDoug

Joined Sep 9, 2018
Hi,

I am looking for a 1K OHM resistor. I know almost nothing about electronics but am trying to learn more, so correct me if I use the wrong terms.

The resistor goes to a control board on my Dewalt DCS355 oscillating tool. I was trying to make another repair on it and I had to take the circuit board out and I happened to chip part of the resistor. Anybody have a source for something equivalent? I've tried looking but don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for help in advance.

Attached are some photos.

Attachments

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I second the above. Surface mount repair can be really tricky.
If you have no electronic knowledge, how are you attempting to fix this tool? It is a pretty complex device by the look of it so how do you know what the problem is?
I solute your zeal to want to repair it, but starting with some more simple electronic devices may be a better way.
Do you have anyone there who can assist you?

It MAY be one of these...
https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Beyschlag/ACASA100121001P100?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvrmc6UYKmaNTbC2fpwzR6wvv0jqxzd7SI=

But you will need to try to measure it as there are quite a few configurations available in the same package style.

Also going by the picture, only one part may be broken, And there could well be an unused section you could link to instead.

KDoug

Joined Sep 9, 2018
Ok. Thanks y'all. When I say I have no electronics knowledge, I am exaggerating a little bit because I know this electronics forum. However I am unfamiliar with a lot of parts and names.

I bought a small tip for my Hakko soldering iron and have been practicing removing small smd components on a scrap board. I've also tried soldering them back in and feel confident I can replace the resistor.

I just noticed today that I somehow broke the solder joint on one of the 8 pins. I think it still works but I'd like to replace the resistor because I'm repairing the tool for my grandpa.

Regarding measuring it, I was getting 0.3 ohms on each of those resistors.
I know I didn't measure it right, so just tell me what I'm doing wrong.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
resistor networks have have different connections. it is also possible that several terminals are connected to same place which would explain your measurement. another option is that you are not using your multimeter correctly or that it is defective or that something on the board is shorted (resistor array or some nearby component). usually same component is used all over the board so you can measure undamaged one. make sure to measure point to point (all combinations) to figure out internal arrangement

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
It may be 4 resistors connected from a pin one side to the directly opposite pin, or from one pin to the next pin, or a number of resistors all with one end connected together at one pin.
It is hard to tell without measuring it. So try measuring on ohms, from one side to the other.
Photo on 13-9-18 at 2.41 pm.jpg

KDoug

Joined Sep 9, 2018
It may be 4 resistors connected from a pin one side to the directly opposite pin, or from one pin to the next pin, or a number of resistors all with one end connected together at one pin.
It is hard to tell without measuring it. So try measuring on ohms, from one side to the other.
View attachment 159797
That's how I measured when I got 0.3 ohms, from pin to pin on the sides. I also measured the three others just like it and got the same.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
did you check linked datasheets?
all values inside resistor network are same R value (unless specified otherwise). in this case R = 1k.
here are some possible arrangements but others may be possible too depending on brand and model
resistor network.jpg

KDoug

Joined Sep 9, 2018
did you check linked datasheets?
all values inside resistor network are same R value (unless specified otherwise). in this case R = 1k.
here are some possible arrangements but others may be possible too depending on brand and model
View attachment 159799
Dewalt doesn't have any other information other than the parts list/schematic which isn't very helpful because there is nothing about the circuitry.

By data sheets do you mean what the resistor actually consist of? Not sure where I'd get that info.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
correct... now that you see various patterns, you can do series of measurements accross that resistor network to identify type. make sure to use fine tip probes and the best would be to take this out of the board since it is already chipped and need to be replaced anyway.

KDoug

Joined Sep 9, 2018
Do I not have my meter set correctly? I keep reading 2.98 kilo ohms when I measure the outer pins (R1 and R4). When I measure the inner (R2 and R3) I get nearly 1 kilo ohm.

Also when it's set to ohms, it doesn't read anything. Attached is a photo.

Attachments

Last edited: