looking for 0.1" spacing for pin header

poolman966554

Joined Jan 22, 2014
hey all, im just finishing a project, and need to install a 50 pin header. i dont have any programs to write the traces, so i become accustomed to draw my own using MSPaint lol. As im still a newb, ive been making my boards by printer toner transfer via iron, followed by chemicals to etch..

That said, with 50 pins at 0.1" spacing i need to be exact on from 1-50

ive googled/ printed many breadboard pinouts, but theyre always too big or small
Anybody have a link to print the proper spacing ??

poolman966554

Joined Jan 22, 2014
Single row or double row? What formats can you open?

Here is a dxf file with two versions.

John
Thanks for the link, but im not sure what i need to open a dxf
im using a single row header

Would a jpeg be available?

please excuse the ignorance, but every "free"program i googled that opens a dxf seemed like adware/freemium stuff.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You need a drawing program (vector graphics) instead of a paint program (raster graphics). A drawing program would allow you to space items precisely and then print them so that what you see is what you get. I use Intaglio and like it quite a bit, but it's not dedicated to electronic work.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thanks for the link, but im not sure what i need to open a dxf
im using a single row header

Would a jpeg be available?

please excuse the ignorance, but every "free"program i googled that opens a dxf seemed like adware/freemium stuff.
DXF is a common file format for exchanging drafting/engineering drawings. I can do it in jpeg, but you will lose dimensional accuracy.

I have uploaded three files. The 50.zip file is a bmp of a drawing with just holes and centers marked. LIkewise for the jpg file. You will have to add the pads.

I suspect your best approach is to take whatever header you have a layout for and duplicate (instance) it as many times as needed.

John

Attachments

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
It is beyond my comprehension that you would use anything other than a program designed to layout PCBs if what you are doing is laying out PCBs.

There are plenty of free programs out there that would be far better than paint for what you are doing.

For my home-built PCBs I use ExpressPCB because it find it to be very easy to use. For ones going to a fabricator, I use the free version of Eagle. A lot of people seem to like kicad, which is another free program that I have not yet used.

Bob