Load Testing

james211

Joined May 29, 2012
I'm working on a project for some cinema camera's and I want to load test all the wiring before putting project into play...basically I want to make sure the breakers trip if necessary and to insure there are no issues that I've overlooked.

What is the best way to do this, and how can I do this?

The basics of the project:

two 15v power bus's (two separate supplies)
-bus 1 will have about 140 watts being drawn (roughly 9.3amps)
-bus 2 will have about 80-100 watts being drawn (roughly 6-7 amps)
-20 gauge wire throughout for all power leads (each run is small, 12in or less)
-each bus has a 13amp, push button breaker (I'm slightly concerned this might be too high)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Looking at the ampacity ratings of AWG 20 wire in lets say free air it is about 10 ~ 11 Amps you may want to find a chart and check that out. Your #1 buss may result, at max load, in your wiring getting warm. With 13 amp breakers I would likely be more comfortable using AWG 18 wire. It's not so much the breaker trip current being high as the wire gauge / diameter being small. That just being my opinion.

Ron

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
-each bus has a 13amp, push button breaker (I'm slightly concerned this might be too high)
I think it's worth considering what the breaker is protecting. In a home, the idea is to prevent a load from causing a fire by overheating the wiring or other components between the breaker or the load. It does not protect the load except inadvertently and secondarily to the main function.

I would think you want to protect both supplies and the wiring from shorts in your loads. The fuse or breaker should be sized to do that. If you want to reduce the current to an even lower level such as 10A in your case, that's OK but it's not necessary if the primary function is to protect the supply and the wires. The loads might be fused to protect themselves.

As for checking that the wiring works, I'd be tempted to use a car headlight as a dummy load. It'll draw about 5A and that should be fine to ensure the wiring is up to it.

james211

Joined May 29, 2012
I originally wanted to use 18 gauge, but the client has a massive spool of 2 conductor 20 gauge wire that they would prefer I use.

The purpose of using the breakers is to prevent a fire, within the box, the supplies have their own breakers as do the loads.