Load independent LED flasher DIY advice

VanDerMax

Joined Mar 25, 2021
I found a product that does something very similar to what I'm aiming to do.

The product purposefully combines a load independent digital flasher relay and electronic push-button controls.
Depending on how long the respective turn signal push-button is activated, 4 different operating modes are available:
Short tap on push-button - blink 3x and automatic switch-off.
Pressing push-button shortly - blink 10x and automatic switch-off.

The relay is load independent (1-100 W) and provides a constant flasher frequency to almost all models of LED, micro or halogen turn signal lights as well as 10 or 21 W light bulbs. Immediate, loss free and brighter illumination results from the effective microelectronic.

Of course there's no details on components used on the PCB, so my questions would be, for the purposes of hobby and learning, where do I start looking? I presume some kind of mosfet?

Personally I'd like to DIY a variant of this because I don't want to have the variants and modes when pressing the button, long press, short press, shorter press etc.

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I found a product that does something very similar to what I'm aiming to do.

The product purposefully combines a load independent digital flasher relay and electronic push-button controls.
Depending on how long the respective turn signal push-button is activated, 4 different operating modes are available:
Short tap on push-button - blink 3x and automatic switch-off.
Pressing push-button shortly - blink 10x and automatic switch-off.

The relay is load independent (1-100 W) and provides a constant flasher frequency to almost all models of LED, micro or halogen turn signal lights as well as 10 or 21 W light bulbs. Immediate, loss free and brighter illumination results from the effective microelectronic.

Of course there's no details on components used on the PCB, so my questions would be, for the purposes of hobby and learning, where do I start looking? I presume some kind of mosfet?

Personally I'd like to DIY a variant of this because I don't want to have the variants and modes when pressing the button, long press, short press, shorter press etc.
What are your functional requirements?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
What do you actually want to do, because that device is more complicated than you think. It appears to be designed to go in line with the wiring for automotive turn signals. The fact that it has only two wires makes it difficult.

Bob

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
"" I don't want to have the variants and modes when pressing the button,
long press, short press, shorter press etc. ""

This is confusing ..........
If You don't want the trick features of the commercial device,
then exactly what do You want, and why ???

Is this device expected to work with a "nominal" ~12VDC ?, or some other range of Voltages ?

What physical dimensions are acceptable to You ?

VanDerMax

Joined Mar 25, 2021
This winter I've already made something similar but using an Arduino, which brings a bit of complexity in the equation, powering the Arduino, finding a proper location for the enclosure etc. it's a bit of a chore where as this device I linked in my first post looks bottle cap sized, which is a big plus :D

In my case, a 12Vdc vehicle environment and specific focus of this DIY hobby project revolves around;
- 2 (or 3A max) LED light that is controlled by its dedicated relay
- momentary button that triggers the relay

This enables the manual flashing, and I want to make it automated - one button push triggers 4 flashes, 2 flashes per second, 2Hz frequency if that's the correct terminology :D

This is how lights are wired, LB is low beam, HB is high beam, and my goal is to have this device work on the HB only.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
What type of Headlight do You have ?
An Incandescent or Halogen Bulb will not give the desired effect because the Filament(s)
can not heat-up and cool-down fast enough to "Flash".

How much Current do each of your Headlights draw ?

This may work reasonably well with an LED Headlight, because they can turn on and off much faster.

Your "Left-Handle-Bar-Switch" is rather arbitrary in your drawing.
Is it 2-Push-Buttons ?
Is it a 2-Position-Switch ? ( SPDT ) ( Single-Pole-Double-Throw ), which stays where You put it ?
Does it act like a Push-Button when You press it ?, rather than "sliding" or "rotating" it to a different position ?

No relays are necessary if You want to use MOSFETs instead.
"Solid-State-Relays", which are easier to deal with, are also available, but they're kinda pricey,
They're very small, and come with 4 wires to connect.
the connections are very similar to a regular "30-Amp" Automotive "Cube-Relay".

Incandescent and Halogen Bulbs will destroy a "Flashing" Mechanical-Relay in short-order.

This setup would be more effective if it flashed both the High and Low-Beams
completely-ON, and completely-OFF, at the same time.

Never depend on a gimmick like this to get someone's attention.
Drive like every other driver is a complete idiot, and never noticed You were there.
Around ~20% of all Drivers are on some sort of Pharmaceutical-Drugs.

VanDerMax

Joined Mar 25, 2021
This is for track use only, and yeah I'll be using LED lights, I believe they're 2A or 3A at maximum.

The switch that I would like to use to activate the flashing the high beam LED is a momentary button, marked with "flash" on my sketchy schematic :D permanently switching high beam on is done with a classic spst rocker switch, but I don't want to tinker with that functionality, just with the momentary flashing button.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Immediate, loss free and brighter illumination results from the effective microelectronic.
Since there are only two wires on this device it can and must power itself by stealing power (well, voltage) delivered to the load. Thus any lamp will not be as bright as it was before using this.

Snake oil. Final answer.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
With a Big enough Bulk-Storage-Capacitor it is totally doable with just 2-wires,
but it's much easier and smaller with 3-wires.

The exact behavior that You want has to be spelled-out explicitly.
The simplest and easiest arrangement would be that the High-Beam LED will Flash for as long as
the Button is held down, and,
would be constructed with the addition of a Ground-Wire, and a Button-Wire, ( 4-wires ).

You can Flash an LED Headlight at around 4-times per second,
faster than that, and your eyes will just blur it into being "on, but dim",
unless it's an blindingly powerful light,
and in that case it may actually disorient other riders.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
This task is very well suited for a micro board in a suitable enclosure that can protect it and serve as a heat sink for both the power supply voltage regulator and the output switching transistors. Multiple switching transistors to spread the heat load over more area. But really it will need to be a four-wire device: Supply Positive, Supply Common, Output positive, and Control input.