Load between phase and earth

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hi,

Voltage between phase and earth is 230V (of course if earth is grounded properly). Can I connect a load (neon lamp) which sinks 30mA current between earth and phase?

Earth is for safety. Usually connected to the body. If phase touches it, there should not be any risk of shock. But is there any clause (say UL) which comments on earth current. Since I have seen some contactors which operates and disconnect th eload is earth current exceed some value.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Why between Earth and Phase?
Why not between phase and neutral?
Anyways I don't think it should make any difference. Both are grounded (even neutral would be grounded AFAIK).

Edit: Usually neutral is grounded somewhere, may be at the distribution XF.

Last edited:

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
Earth is for safety is correct
Loads (single phase loads) are connected between Phase and Neutral.
Neutral may or may not be Earthed (connected to ground potential). Morevoer there are several techniques by which the neutral can be connected to ground potential and hence then Neutral and Earth need not necessarily be the the exact same potential.

The body is connected to earth to prevent any charge accumalation on the handling surface of any applicance so that the user does not receive an electric shock while handling the device.

However connecting a applicance (say a lightbulb) between phase and earth would let the light bulb glow - although doing somethin like this is highly unadviseable.

The contactors you are refering to I think is used in a system of protection called Earth fault protection. The magnitude of the Earth fault current depends on the nature of fault and type of Earthing used

Last edited: