Lm3915 counter up down by buttons

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Actually, just looked at the datasheet again and that En is "Preset Enable." It's there to allow you to preload a specific value into the counter on reset instead of starting at 0. Don't think that pin does us any good here.

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
Won't that prevent any further input? In other words, you'd prevent any more up presses (good) but also prevent any more down presses (bad.)

Won't that get us right back to only having one LED lit at a time? A key requirement of this project is to have all LEDs up to a certain level on, not just the top LED. In other words, it should look like an audio meter in bar mode, not in dot mode.
Exactly that happened when I tried it.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hi

Here's what I had in mind. You'll have to add LED drivers..
Interesting approach. I have to admit I get turned around pretty quickly with circuits like this. Two questions:
1) Does it work equally well if you change directions part way? (like 5 pulses up, 2 down, 4 up, etc.) Or does it have to all the way up and all the way down?
2) Does it wrap around in either direction if you keep pressing up or down? If I'm not mistaken, since the counter has 16 states and we only see 10 of them, it would take 6 extra ups or downs to see it loop back around from 10 to 1 or 1 to 10.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi
Good questions!

Interesting approach. I have to admit I get turned around pretty quickly with circuits like this. Two questions:
1) Does it work equally well if you change directions part way? (like 5 pulses up, 2 down, 4 up, etc.) Or does it have to all the way up and all the way down?
As it turns out...no:(
If fact..after thinking about it more, we don't even need the 4028 or 4029:eek::D
All we need are FF's and a few gates.
2) Does it wrap around in either direction if you keep pressing up or down? If I'm not mistaken, since the counter has 16 states and we only see 10 of them, it would take 6 extra ups or downs to see it loop back around from 10 to 1 or 1 to 10.
The new circuit holds at 10 and pressing the button has no affect.

See attached.
I've attached graphs of 12u/12d pulses, 5u/2d pulses, and 5u/5d pulses.

eT

Attachments