Lighted steps, timed 110v switch

Shawn M

Joined Mar 3, 2006
I installed rope lighting down my steps and put security mats under the bottom and top steps. Since allot of my home is X10 I tried an MS13a Motion detector, I was half way down my steps before they came on!! lol So I thought I'd try an X10 PRO Powerflash Burglar Alarm Interface PSC01, Again half way down the steps! Well now I'm looking for a circuit strictly for this. The security mats just close a loop so if anyone has seen this type of circuit, or circuit board please let me know! My knowledge level is just an old time electronic geek that can't remember the calculations to create his own circuit! But I can solder one if I had a parts list and schematic! I would like the timer set between 20 sec and 1or2 min!
Thanks!
Shawn

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by Shawn M@Mar 4 2006, 11:38 AM
I installed rope lighting down my steps and put security mats under the bottom and top steps. Since allot of my home is X10 I tried an MS13a Motion detector, I was half way down my steps before they came on!! lol So I thought I'd try an X10 PRO Powerflash Burglar Alarm Interface PSC01, Again half way down the steps! Well now I'm looking for a circuit strictly for this. The security mats just close a loop so if anyone has seen this type of circuit, or circuit board please let me know! My knowledge level is just an old time electronic geek that can't remember the calculations to create his own circuit! But I can solder one if I had a parts list and schematic! I would like the timer set between 20 sec and 1or2 min!
Thanks!
Shawn
[post=14613]Quoted post[/post]​
You could try an infra red LED and photo transistor and have a light beam across the path right at the start. Will switch it all on right from the start.

Shawn M

Joined Mar 3, 2006
Originally posted by windoze killa@Mar 3 2006, 08:27 PM
You could try an infra red LED and photo transistor and have a light beam across the path right at the start. Will switch it all on right from the start.
[post=14614]Quoted post[/post]​
Good call but, I'm trying to avoid my cat from triggering it and he can't trigger the security mat! His food is at the bottom of the steps! I can't go above him because the one side of the steps is the living room. And I was also trying to avoid drilling into the nicely trimmed oak! thanks!

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by Shawn M@Mar 4 2006, 01:43 PM
Good call but, I'm trying to avoid my cat from triggering it and he can't trigger the security mat! His food is at the bottom of the steps! I can't go above him because the one side of the steps is the living room. And I was also trying to avoid drilling into the nicely trimmed oak! thanks!
[post=14615]Quoted post[/post]​
You could try ultrasonic transducers. You can get them in a configuration that only detects up to 3 feet so people in the livving room won't set it off.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Originally posted by Shawn M@Mar 3 2006, 05:38 PM
I installed rope lighting down my steps and put security mats under the bottom and top steps.  Since allot of my home is X10 I tried an MS13a Motion detector, I was half way down my steps before they came on!! lol So I thought I'd try an X10 PRO Powerflash Burglar Alarm Interface PSC01, Again half way down the steps! Well now I'm looking for a circuit strictly for this.  The security mats just close a loop so if anyone has seen this type of circuit, or circuit board please let me know! My knowledge level is just an old time electronic geek that can't remember the calculations to create his own circuit! But I can solder one if I had a parts list and schematic!  I would like the timer set between 20 sec and 1or2 min! 
Thanks!
Shawn
[post=14613]Quoted post[/post]​
[attachmentid=1232]
TR1 secondary should be at least enough to operate K1 coil.
C2 working voltage should be at least 2x TR1 secondary peak (or at least 2.8 times TR1 secondary RMS). C2 value should be as high as practical without spending lots of mony.
IC1 should be rated (K1 coil voltage x (K1 coil resistance + R2+R3).
C2 should be a couple tenths of a microfarad - check datasheet for IC1.
MAT1 and MAT2 are at top and bottom of stairs.
R3 value is 5x (R2 + K1 coil resistance)
C1 working voltage should be at least twice IC1's output. C1 value is approximately = 20 / (R2 + K1 coil resistance)
R1 keeps C1 from shorting when the relay drops out - it needs to be "more than zero ohms" and rated for whatever power it needs to dissipate.

Decision time: what kind of relay gets used?

Shawn M

Joined Mar 3, 2006
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Mar 4 2006, 11:22 PM
[attachmentid=1232]
TR1 secondary should be at least enough to operate K1 coil.
C2 working voltage should be at least 2x TR1 secondary peak (or at least 2.8 times TR1 secondary RMS). C2 value should be as high as practical without spending lots of mony.
IC1 should be rated (K1 coil voltage x (K1 coil resistance + R2+R3).
C2 should be a couple tenths of a microfarad - check datasheet for IC1.
MAT1 and MAT2 are at top and bottom of stairs.
R3 value is 5x (R2 + K1 coil resistance)
C1 working voltage should be at least twice IC1's output. C1 value is approximately = 20 / (R2 + K1 coil resistance)
R1 keeps C1 from shorting when the relay drops out - it needs to be "more than zero ohms" and rated for whatever power it needs to dissipate.

Decision time: what kind of relay gets used?
[post=14675]Quoted post[/post]​
Wow!! exactly what I was looking for, I didn't think anyone would do it though!! I need some help calculating everything out now!!! Nice! Gosh I miss those days!! :)
I'm trying to soak things in right now! I'll have questions later.
Thanks alot!
Shawn