Life of Electronic controls.

Discussion in 'Technical Repair' started by Duane P Wetick, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Duane P Wetick

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 23, 2009
    Underwriters Laboratories data and The Law of the Squares have shown that 7 years is the expected life of modern electronic controls. This applies to automotive electronics as well. The swelling of molded plastic parts (Hygroscopic) over time has resulted in the mal-functioning of cd players and other devices where plastic surface degradation is occurring. The largest problem, however is the Tin whisker migration on printed wiring boards.See Modern Marvels episode 19 (U-Tube) for chilling evidence of Tin whiskers shorting out pcb traces even when covered with solder mask. There is no solution for this malady. Tin whisker migration of solder paths (.03") is visible under med-high magnification. Repairs (by me) of failed circuits are limited to battery replacement and electrolytic capacitor replacement only. When considering replacement of a failed appliance or TV, buy new is my suggestion.

Cheers, DPW, [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I Really do not like this current trend of a the 'throw-away society.
    My granddaughter dropped off a 4 yr old LG 60" TV, I identified the board but LG don't have because the model has been discontinued, my only hope is to find a 'scrapper' and see if I can salvage parts.
    Max.

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Failure rates and failure modes of electronic components and equipment have been extensively studied. The typical life span is well established. Early-life failures (infant mortality rates) are well known.

I have 40-year old computers that are still operating. I do not routinely replace capacitors unless it has been determined that they are faulty.

4. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    It's just common sense. If something fails and it would cost you a significant portion of the cost of a new one, it doesn't make much sense to repair.