Leroy-Somer 1 Phase Motor Switch Wiring

Geoff Andrews

Joined May 22, 2017
Hello! I have an INCA Planer/Jointer. The switch took a dump and I am looking for an inexpensive way to wire a new switch. The original rotary isolator switch was quite complex and fell apart while I was trying to get part information. The original switch was a Kraus & Naimer C17X. Kraus & Naimer is going to charge upwards of $200 to send a substitute switch box. The C17 series is obsolete. Please let me know if there is a way to get a working replacement solution with Home Depot-type parts. I basically need to wire a new switch and switch box with a 20 amp cord running out of it to plug in. IMG_5615.JPG IMG_5616.JPG IMG_5617.JPG IMG_5618.JPG IMG_5619.JPG IMG_5633.JPG IMG_5634.JPG Pictures are attached. Thank you!!

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Best that I can gather is that there is a 3P ST , manual override relay. Top set of contacts makes relay self latching if manually set. If heat SW opens, relay opens, motor stops. The 2nd & 3rd set of contacts connects line to motors two windings, one direct & one in series with cap.
If so, then proper rated 3PST ( 3P DT ) relay could be used. A NO pushbutton SW could bypass first set of contacts to latch relay.

Last edited:

Geoff Andrews

Joined May 22, 2017
Best that I can gather is that there is a 3P ST , manual override relay. Top set of contacts makes relay self latching if manually set. If heat SW opens, relay opens, motor stops. The 2nd & 3rd set of contacts connects line to motors two windings, one direct & one in series with cap.
If so, then proper rated 3PST ( 3P DT ) relay could be used. A NO pushbutton SW could bypass first set of contacts to latch relay.

Thank you Bernard. Do you think it would be possible to wire a standard 2 pole 20A toggle switch? I just need it to turn on and off.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A 2P toggle SW should work but will not have thermal protection. I expect 7 leads from motor,
but picture seems to have more ? Can you identify the 2 motor windings? I think the winding with highest resistance goes to line & cap, other end of cap. to other line. Subject to review,
I would use neutral & switch just hot leg.

Geoff Andrews

Joined May 22, 2017
There are 7 leads. 2 blacks from each hole, 1 brown with stripes from each hole, 1 yellow from one hole. There are 2 blue wires coming from 1 capacitor and 2 brown wires coming from the other capacitor. I'm not overly concerned about the thermal protection.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
You will need an ohm meter to identify motor windings, black leads. Brown, probably thermal SW. Yellow, probably frame ground; goes to ground lead on power cord, might be green.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
From the picture it appears that wires are grouped properly as, top group, 2 black, 2 blue go to line 1; middle group, 1 black, 2 brown go to line 2; lower group, 1 black, 1 blue tied together. Two blues tied together with a single blue carried out. Measure first.

Geoff Andrews

Joined May 22, 2017
Thanks Bernard! I was able to get the motor finally running, but with some difficulty. The motor hums and buzzes before it starts. If I turn the spindle it will start to run, but there is no way it would run under load. I believe I have identified the 2 winding, but I am not sure how to get it to start with the slower winding then kick into the second speed using only a L1, L2 configuration. Any thoughts?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hello! I have an INCA Planer/Jointer. The switch took a dump and I am looking for an inexpensive way to wire a new switch. The original rotary isolator switch was quite complex and fell apart while I was trying to get part information. The original switch was a Kraus & Naimer C17X. Kraus & Naimer is going to charge upwards of $200 to send a substitute switch box. The C17 series is obsolete. Please let me know if there is a way to get a working replacement solution with Home Depot-type parts. I basically need to wire a new switch and switch box with a 20 amp cord running out of it to plug in. View attachment 127389 View attachment 127390 View attachment 127391 View attachment 127392 View attachment 127393 View attachment 127394 View attachment 127395 Pictures are attached. Thank you!!
It seems that there is a capacitor and that it is in series with one of the windings. So evidently the motor is a "capacitor split phase" motor, And that drawing is a wiring diagram NOT a schematic diagram. What I am able to see is that the bottom switch is only used for a tie point and not as a switch. So there is no need for a 3-pole switch. From the wiring diagram I can see that the switch opens both sides of the mains supply, and so there is not a reversing option. I am not able to read the text and so I am not able to tell which lead connects to the capacitors. But that may still be connected and thus sinmple to find.

But it should be possible to see which winding the capacitors are in series with. When properly connected it will start very quickly and have lots of torque.

Last edited:

tnoll

Joined Nov 4, 2021
I just found a new updated switch at Inca France, lucky for me because the machine was discontinued 20 years ago. My switch housing is crunched too and the flimsy capacitor mount broke when I rested my hand on it. Too hokey to piece back together. Switch still works!