Led with 220volts

endlasuresh

Joined Feb 11, 2010
I am looking to connect this resistor with 220v for driving a 5mm led. I checked the value and it is around 1500k, but please see the color code and let me know.
I have searched on internet and found 56k ohm resistor can work in this method, but due to Corona unable to go for shop, so I picked this from mosquito racket circuit board.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am looking to connect this resistor with 220v for driving a 5mm led. I checked the value and it is around 1500k, but please see the color code and let me know.
I have searched on internet and found 56k ohm resistor can work in this method, but due to Corona unable to go for shop, so I picked this from mosquito racket circuit board.
The peak voltage will be:

\( 220\; \text {VAC}\; \cdot \sqrt{2}\;\approx\; 311\;\text {V-Pk} \)

That peak voltage through a 56kΩ resistor implies a peak current of 6 about mA, which should be OK, but you should check the datasheet to see if the LED can block 311 volts in the reverse direction. If it can't do that, the LED might just let the magic smoke out.

The color code for the 56K resistor should be:

GREEN (5), BLUE (6), ORANGE (3 Zeros) - Ohms

EDIT: Brown (1), Black (0), Green (5 Zeros) - 1 MΩ ± 5%, so 5% of 1 MΩ is 50 KΩ. I suspect the ohmmeter might have a problem
This resistor will give you a peak current of 311 μA which may or may not light up the LED. You still want to be sure the device can handle that much reverse bias.

Last edited:

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Looks like a 2M resistor to me. Red=2 Blk=0 Grn=10^5.
Did you check the value in or out of circuit?
You cannot drive an LED with 220V even with 56K average current would be around 2mA and you must have a diode going the other way or the LED will be destroyed on the negative swing of the AC voltage. Also, even with protection diode, resistor will consume 0.86W. With no air ventilation you will need at least a 2W resistor. Why do you want to do this?

Last edited:

endlasuresh

Joined Feb 11, 2010
It was for wire junction box in which power indicator was led.
If this is not suitable then please recommend me the right resistor.