LED Timer Circuit not detailed/vague

Ayomide Bamidele

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Okay so for my GCSE D&T project I will be making a toothbrush holder, with a built in timer. Slightly boring, I know but it's very doable (at least that's what I thought) and I haven't seen something that looks remotely like my project.
I want to make a circuit that will keep an LED on for 2 minutes on the push of a button. I found a circuit online:
http://www.circuitdb.com/?p=401

Unfortunately, on the webpage the circuit maker was very vague about the definitions of the symbols. Granted, it is quite old (2008). I am not sure what 'T1' and 'T2' are for certain -- could you guys help me with this?

Also, is there a better way of doing this? I've seen the number 555 a lot in google searching circuits like these, what is it? Lastly, If I wanted the LED to change colour from it's original colour for 2 minutes the change back - would I need an Arduino?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
T1 and T2 are transistors. Since this is a school assignment, I suggest you research transistor types and select suitable ones.
Google will give you plenty of examples of '555 timer circuits'.

Ayomide Bamidele

Joined Jan 26, 2016
T1 and T2 are transistors. Since this is a school assignment, I suggest you research transistor types and select suitable ones.
Google will give you plenty of examples of '555 timer circuits'.
If I invested time in learning Arduino could the thing I'm trying to do be done easier?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

harikanaidu

Joined Nov 28, 2014
Hi,Iam also working on the same project..I found this link useful..they described three circuits ,two circuits with 555 timer and one with arduino.http://www.electronicshub.org/adjustable-timer/...I have done my project using first circuit...This is very simple circuit and is of low cost..Instead of relay use a led at the output pin for your application.....A calculation is also given ,using that adjust the pot for two minutes....

if u did not understand that first circuit...check the third circuit with arduino ..this is really very simple..I have not used second one..