Learning material for understanding how a varactor diode works

dan404

Joined Jan 2, 2021
Hi, i am intrested in understanding how a varactor diode works. Do i need a semiconductor physics book? Are there books sepecialized on varactor diode wokings? Please reference useful books on varactor diode workings or whatever topic i need. I already know analog electronics, circuits and electromagnetism.
Thanks!

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there :) A varactor diode is a simple variable capacitor that allows oscillator circuits and other circuits to be easily tuned by applying a voltage. These diodes have a similar structure as a p-n diode; the structure of a varactor diode is rather simple and illustrates its power as a component with nonlinear reactance . But then again you already know this cuz you're well schooled in analog!
Please forgive me I get cranky around dinner time if I didn't have lunch. ARRL.http://www.arrl.org/
Everything you ever wanted to know about varactor diodes. :)

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
All junction diodes show a variation in junction capacitance with reverse bias.
Varactor diodes have their junction doped to increase this characteristic to the maximum possible.

RCory

Joined Sep 10, 2012
Hi, i am intrested in understanding how a varactor diode works. Do i need a semiconductor physics book? Are there books sepecialized on varactor diode wokings? Please reference useful books on varactor diode workings or whatever topic i need. I already know analog electronics, circuits and electromagnetism.
Thanks!
I wrote an article on varactor diodes published in High Frequency Design magazine several years ago when I was the applications engineering manager of a microwave semiconductor company. I hope it helps.

Attachments

Gabby_Jay

Joined Aug 29, 2021
Is there a way to check a varactor diode when it's in a circuit similar to the way a silicon diode can be checked with the diode checking function of an ohmmeter?