LCD with PIC microcontroller

mnobeidat

Joined Dec 20, 2016
Hi
I found this LCD in an old telephone and I want to connect it to a PIC micro controller.
I searched for its data sheet, but I did not find any result.
Help!!
Its code name is "HK6508L".

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
That does not look like a conventional 44780 LCD. It looks like a custom LCD glass The other cable looks like it connects to controls and the phone line (Tip/Ring with what looks like a DAA on the board). I would guess that underneath the LCD is the phone IC. If that is the case, there probably is an IC under the display that did all of the phone stuff and LCD refresh.

If none of that works and nobody else has any ideas, close your eyes, face away from the trash can and flip it over your shoulder. Report your results.

Good luck.

EDIT: @joeyd999 pointed out the obvious below. WAGs edited out of this post.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This LCD is bound to have a lot of custom icons on the screen. Of little use unless you want to use it in another phone project.

You might save yourself a whole lot of grief for just a few dollars and buy one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Serial...408888?hash=item4af42163f8:g:m8wAAOSwcdBWS2hs

The article I found from Ilett is for the HD44780 controller. From the pinout in the image the TS provided, I really doubt the controller is HD44780.

But most of the LCD panels on eBay and elsewhere indeed are LCD based.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
And if you want to use the parallel version of an HD44780 then I have some code for you.

P.S. The ks0066 is also another easy to use LCD compatible with the HD44780 .

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You're absolutely right. I wasn't looking at the top picture but over-focused on the back of the PCB. Of course, the phone controller is likely under the LCD and inaccessible.
Good catch.

But I am not seeing any obvious way to write text / numbers to the LCD. Maybe the controller interfaces direct the the LCD? If so then the TS is out of luck to repurpose this panel.