Latching Relay Circuit Won't Latch

russellb33

Joined Apr 9, 2016
Hi,

I have a latching relay to switch a drill on/off but it will not latch. I have looked at the diagram for hours but can not see why it won't latch. I have removed the load in case there was some odd interaction between the motor and relay coil but it still does not latch. I suspect there is some fundamental error in my circuit but I cannot see it. Any advice would be great!

Wiring Diagram.jpg

Thanks.

russellb33

Joined Apr 9, 2016
Thank you for the replies.

I suppose it would have helped if I had labeled the switches / relay contacts. As I see the circuit (in my updated diagram, attached) when I press sw2 (ON), the relay energises & connects rs1 to the power supply via sw1 (OFF) thus keeping the relay energised. Unfortunately, reality begs to differ. Please excuse the dodgy labeling.

MaxHeadRoom, I have had a look thru the link you provided but I am still not sure what you mean by a retaining contact.

Dodgydave, with the updated diagram, could you point me toward the contact you are referring to.

Wiring Diagram 2.jpg

russellb33

Joined Apr 9, 2016
Turns out I had mis-read my rely wiring diagram and therefore wired the outputs of the relay(rs1/rs2) backwards. My bad. The circuit works now though! Thank you for the responses.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Why do you post those dark, hardly to read, pictures?
I inverted one and changed the gamma a bit:

russellb33_wiring2.jpg

Bertus