LaserBlaster: revisiting an old project

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
A project that I started a few years ago never got past the breadboard stage. Using 556 ICs, I created a toy that I dubbed the LaserBlaster because it flashes lights and makes ray gun noises. I finally created a schematic and board using Eagle CAD. I just uploaded the file to Aisler. Below are PDFs of the schematic and board.

Attachments

Blue Wolf

Joined Jun 20, 2019
I made a similar, albeit much simpler, toy many years ago. It used discreet transistors, micro speaker and two colours of ultra-bright leds and collimated beams. I ended up put all the circuitry inside a 4' section of black bamboo and gave it to my son -- it was his 'Laser Rod'. A very beloved toy.
This looks like a very much upgraded version and I might just see if I can build it into something for my next son. If I do I'll upload some photo's for you Zoolander.
Thanks for this!
:)

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
Hi Blue Wolf,
Try breadboarding the circuit. Play around with the resistor/capacitor values to get different effects. I used transistors for the outputs so that I can run lots of LEDs. Laser pointers seem to work well at 5v (the cheep, keyring type). Although the BC547s are only rated at 100ma, nothing on the board gets hot even if I hold the button down for a long time. Must be because the pulsing DC output is only at half duty cycle. BC337s may be a better choice for bigger loads. I was thinking of driving a tactile motor to make it vibrate a bit when the trigger button is pressed. This version is going to be a desktop toy. I may make a battery powered version of a Sonic Screwdriver next.

Blue Wolf

Joined Jun 20, 2019
I'll try to put it together tonight and play around a bit...good idea with the micro motor for a 'buzz' effect. I will let you know how it goes.
:)