Laptop fan connector

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Looks like your pictured fan uses a 4 wire fan. While the colors used may change the pinouts are generally the same. A Google of "4 pin pc fan pinout" will give you the pinout. Also a Google of 4 wire fan speed controller will give you solutions like this one which can drive 3 fans. If you just want to have the fan run at maximum speed tie the +12 Volt pin to the PWM signal pin.

The male connector should use this pinout:
4 Pin Fan Header.png

Generally these are as follows:
1. Ground
2. 12 Volts
3. Sense (Tach Output)
4. Control (PWM INPUT)

Ron

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Some kind of JST connector? It looks like a smaller pitch than the 0.1" spacing found on PC motherboards. I'd be tempted to just chop the connector off and replace it with a 0.1" pitch Molex/Dupont style connector. One source would be the 3.5" floppy power connector from an old PC power supply harness.

mag999

Joined Nov 18, 2021
Pin spacing is 1,5mm.
The motherboard is from an Acer laptop. I could cut the wires but hoped I could find the connector.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
More than just pin spacing, the mating connector has to match the same profile and locking system. Also, there's probably a clocking pin to prevent it from being plugged in the wrong way.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hi

I'm trying to convert a laptop to a server. Want to improve the cooling, but can't find the correct connector name / model?
That is a molex connector. Contact molex.com; their people will be happy to identify it specifically- you cold probably even get a sample for free...