Languages and software that can click, type and capture data on Windows / Linux

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Hi,

I am searching for as the title says: 'Languages and software that can click, type and capture data on Windows / Linux'. The purpose is to navigate to various stock market web pages and capture data, saving it to a text file in raw format. It would be beneficial to have computational capabilities alongside this 'macro' type language but not necessary. I have chosen a GUI approach as opposed to reading website data via HTML to avoid spending less time writing algorithms.

Currently, I am using "AutoIt" and Python to do this. AutoIt does the 'me' part and Python does the math. The goal is to write algorithms that will detect and alert me (now capable via cell phone!) when a specific change in market conditions has occurred. One condition might be when a stock rises by 1% each minute for three consecutive minutes.

All comments are appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Hi,

I am searching for as the title says: 'Languages and software that can click, type and capture data on Windows / Linux'. The purpose is to navigate to various stock market web pages and capture data, saving it to a text file in raw format. It would be beneficial to have computational capabilities alongside this 'macro' type language but not necessary. I have chosen a GUI approach as opposed to reading website data via HTML to avoid spending less time writing algorithms.

Currently, I am using "AutoIt" and Python to do this. AutoIt does the 'me' part and Python does the math. The goal is to write algorithms that will detect and alert me (now capable via cell phone!) when a specific change in market conditions has occurred. One condition might be when a stock rises by 1% each minute for three consecutive minutes.

All comments are appreciated.

Regards,
Mark
This is termed "screen scraping" if I'm not mistaken. Usually though one consumes data feeds that supply this information. I used to do this for a living back in London where I worked at trading firms, options traders, brokerage houses and so on, but that was 20 years ago and a lots changed! The data itself originates at various exchanges and is not cheap!