Language Translator Project

Earnest Steele

Joined Dec 2, 2014
Hello everyone.
I came up with an idea for a language translator earpiece that would translate foreign languages in real-time for my engineering project management course. It was an ambitious idea that I didn't really take farther than the idea itself. Now that it is time to design and create it, I am having difficulty figuring where to begin. I thought that if I combine a simple voice recorder with a decoder using a ROM to hold the language database that it should be possible but my expertise is very limited. Does anyone have any ideas that I can use to start my preliminary design. I would like to add that if this idea should prove financially lucrative I would gladly share any resources with contributors.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Can I have the name, email address, and phone number of the professor so I can get credit for my contributions?
From what I've seen, the professor will give him an A for managing his time well and managing his resources. After all, he is after an engineering mgmt degree, not engineering.

Maybe he can help this guy...
He wants to translate/detect emotion from voice - and doesn't know where to start.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/emotion-recognition-based-on-voice-signal.104181/

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The project you have in mind is extremely complex. If you cannot see where to begin I would recommend scrapping this idea and find another project within the scope of your capabilities.

(That goes for both projects.)

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Earnest Steele, I can't help with the details but I hope that this will serve as a starting point..... as is often the case; nature has already solved the problem.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The project you have in mind is extremely complex. If you cannot see where to begin I would recommend scrapping this idea and find another project within the scope of your capabilities.

(That goes for both projects.)
A reliable text to text application would be extremely complex. I don't know any that do them really well except for very simple words and phrases.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
A reliable text to text application would be extremely complex. I don't know any that do them really well except for very simple words and phrases.
Spinnaker,
He didn't ask you how hard it was, he asked how he should do it.

Remember, it was his idea so he invented it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This has already been done. It's called a Universal Translator. Captain Kirk might not know how it works, but maybe Scotty can help you. If I knew how to translate, "Star Dates" I would tell you when to ask. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I wonder if the OP has even bothered to try something like Google translate? Put some text in it, translate it one way and then translate it back, the results can be interesting.

A guy I once worked for sold a Web Application that we had developed in English only to a Spanish company, he didn't bother to consult us on timescales and cost and sold it as a "few weeks work" because his grand plan was to just run the English version through Google translate, grab the output and job done. Until I showed him how well Google translate works...

Earnest Steele

Joined Dec 2, 2014
Thank you everyone. I do realize how complex the idea is and no Lt. Montgomery Scott was not helpful with this idea. On a positive note, the professor has decided to post the idea to the class and see if they want to do it as a whole rather than doing individual projects. So I might get the help I was looking for right here in class. Thank you again for all the helpful comments and "blocco" thanks for the picture it is extremely helpful.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thank you everyone. I do realize how complex the idea is and no Lt. Montgomery Scott was not helpful with this idea. On a positive note, the professor has decided to post the idea to the class and see if they want to do it as a whole rather than doing individual projects. So I might get the help I was looking for right here in class. Thank you again for all the helpful comments and "blocco" thanks for the picture it is extremely helpful.
Ok, does that mean do we get to cast doubts on the professors optimism too... Or, was the professor just going to check how many of his students were going to misjudge the workload of this project?