Knockout Punch!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
They called for a stretcher for him and he ended up waving it off and getting up under his own power. I just can't imagine that force hitting someone with MMA gloves. That would kill someone. So it makes me wonder are MMA fighters/Octagon fighters better then boxers? Or are boxers still a higher caliber? From this it looks like boxers are still the best. But who knows.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
MMA fighters are terrible boxers. They do almost everything wrong. But I guess they make up for it with other fighting techniques.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I can't really say if I'd rather be in a fight with a boxer or a MMA fighter. I think either one would kill me, literally. I can say that I much prefer watching MMA over boxing. I think it takes more skill, but that's my uneducated opinion; I'm not a hardcore fan of either.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The MMA fighter who had the best boxing skills was a guy who came from street fighting, named Kimbo. But the rest of his game wasn't up to snuff.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The MMA fighter who had the best boxing skills was a guy who came from street fighting, named Kimbo. But the rest of his game wasn't up to snuff.
Kimbo was an actual MMA fighter? All I know about Kimbo is what my friend used to show me on youtube years ago. He would stage badly taped street fights against people half his size and pummel the crap out of them.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Kimbo was an actual MMA fighter? All I know about Kimbo is what my friend used to show me on youtube years ago. He would stage badly taped street fights against people half his size and pummel the crap out of them.
Yah he became an MMA fighter for 5 minutes and got tore up pretty bad.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
And you call this a sport?
I find myself asking this question a lot, of all kinds of "sports". It depends how you define a sport I guess. Where's the line between hobby, game, and sport?

I'll just go with the first definition from google: define sport:
sport/spôrt/

Noun:An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
Things I don't consider sports:
Hunting
Fishing
Ping pong
Chess
curling (sliding rocks across ice)
Billiards (I am an avid billiards player BTW)
et. al. The list is very long

Ring fighting I do consider a sport though; it requires strength, endurance, skill, and it is the epitome of competition. Kimbo's youtube fights however were more of a jackass sideshow than a fight (sport).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ping Pong and Curling both involve physical exertion.

We had the same arguement with Combat Robotics, even thought it was using remote controls on the robots.

How about stock car racing?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

We had the same arguement with Combat Robotics, even thought it was using remote controls on the robots.

Playing xbox also requires physical exertion, in the thumbs. Depends how far you want to stretch the physical exertion label.

Stock car racing, I don't know. My initial thought is that it's a sport. Not much physical exertion just sitting in the car driving, but (everywhere but the big leagues) the driver spends countless hours under the car turning a wrench, making it as fast as possible. That's a bit of a stretch I guess, so I'll call it a game. Either way, I don't find it entertaining.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009

I know a lot about racing. So I'll take that on. Yes stock car racing is a sport. Most people he couldn't handle the physical demand on your body. Sitting in a metal box with temps in the 135f+ Many drivers have been forced to urinate in their seats, this is a huge mistake. The seats get so hot the urine starts to boil and burns the drivers through the nomex suits. Another point is when you screw up, you can die. Hemmingway once said famously, "The world only has 2 sports, thats bull fighting and autoracing, everything else is just a game." Meaning unless you risked your like hemmingway didn't consider it a sport. We still have numerous deaths everyyear in racing from semi pro's up. Many times you don't hear about it but it happens all the time. Do you know why they used to wear those white helmets in those old nascar pics? Well those aren't helmets, their just white gauze so when you crash the meds can check the gauze and see if its bleeding from a head injury. Plus you have your greats that played the sport, like fireball roberts! My favorite! A great racer and premadonna who when they actually made fire proof suits he found them to be itchy and not want to wear it. So right before the race he ran to the doctor and had a doctor write him a note saying he didn't have to wear the new fireproof suit. Heres what happened about an hour later. PS he had the name before his death. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv22-g7sbGU

Now a lil racing trivia, watching nascar now you'll see danica patrick crash and fold her arms across her chest, while nascar driver steer it straight into the wall then release the wheel at the last .05 seconds. The reason why is in IRL car which she's used to the steering linkage is direct to the wheel so if your hands are on the wheel and you hit the wall, the wheel will break your hands and wrists into numerous peices. In nascar that actually have rack and pinion steering so when the car impacts it doesn't effect the wheel this way. You'll see her doing it in mid slide and if you know racing your just yelling grab the wheel you dumb #$#@% Half of nascar is controlled crashing!

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I prefer to engage in sports rather than watch them. I consider sailing, SCUBA diving, dirt biking, etc as sports although there's no competition involved. I gave up tennis a decade ago, that was the last competitive sport I was active in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Homework Help 0